FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

20180313_062006.jpg
20180313_062031.jpg

I realize these are a little dark, but there was an overnight explosion in my feed bucket! I was using a two bucket system, 1 gallon capacity each, but the buckets are flimsy and tore except this one. Switching to one 3.5 gallon bucket. Shoulda done that the last time.

We've Been feeding fermented to the chickens ducks and geese for almost a year now and they still love it. Originally had a few 3 gallon buckets going but had to upgrade to the 30 gallon trash can. Doesn't have to be full just about half way so we have room in there for expansion. The winter is much nicer but summer can get warm.... Around 110-120. I'm looking to move it to the garage where at least it's shaded full time. Would leaving the fermented feed out in heat be bad ? It takes us about 2 days before adding to it.

This fermenting has saved quite a bit on feed which means saved money. And I do feel like it does help with the size of eggs.

View attachment 1294562 View attachment 1294563

I realize these are a little dark, but there was an overnight explosion in my feed bucket! I was using a two bucket system, 1 gallon capacity each, but the buckets are flimsy and tore except this one. Switching to one 3.5 gallon bucket. Shoulda done that the last time.
You mentioned an explosion. By that I am going to assume you didn't just have it covered, you had the lid sealed. This is a no-no. Fermentation releases gasses (mainly carbon dioxide) and if you don't leave an outlet for them to get out the pressure will build up until...well I guess you found out the "until".

It can also cause the mix to "rise", almost like dough. This is one of the reasons for periodic stirring, it allows trapped gas bubbles to escape.

You mentioned an explosion. By that I am going to assume you didn't just have it covered, you had the lid sealed. This is a no-no. Fermentation releases gasses (mainly carbon dioxide) and if you don't leave an outlet for them to get out the pressure will build up until...well I guess you found out the "until".

It can also cause the mix to "rise", almost like dough. This is one of the reasons for periodic stirring, it allows trapped gas bubbles to escape.

No, not covered. Just grew out of the bucket and made a mess so I got a bigger bucket. Thanks :highfive:

Do chickens who eat fermented feed drink less water? (i.e. get their water from the feed) My chickens don't seem to be going through much water (and it is still reasonably warm).

Their total water intake will be about the same. But, you gotta remember that they will be getting a lot of their water from the FF, instead of the waterer. I consider that to be a plus in both winter and summer. I ferment in my basement/garage. So, instead of carrying out 3 gallons of water every morning during the winter, I'm carrying out 1 gallon of water, and a bucket of FF which may have 2 gallons of water mixed up with the dry feed. This helps b/c their heated dog bowl only holds 5 qts.

Back
Top Bottom