FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

1. Anyone doing it? I sure am
  2. How long have you been doing it? 3yrs
  3. Your methods? I only have "Pets w/Benefits" (4 - 6) .... I mix Chick Starter in a small plastic container for the first month, then switch to Flock Raiser in a gallon container. I've learned the ratio of 1:1 works best, takes a couple days before it bubbles up & keep adding to it. I've froze some once, defrosting & starting up again, works great.
  4. Grains/feeds used in this manner? Never tried grains, learned pellets & different brands of feed ferments differently; consistancy & color but the smells still the same, yummy Sour Dough.
  5. Your overall review of this method of feeding? :love I know there are nutritional benefits but my favorite is the poop is no stinky, although the cecal still stinks, there's less of it & what there is it's alot firmer. Another plus is the dust get's used up & not wasted, 50# bag of FR lasts me about 8 - 9wks.

Bigger bucket was a good idea, should have done it long ago. FF bucket is sitting on top of the scratch bucket and when I moved it last night it sounded like a soda...fizzy and alive :yesss:

How long does this stuff last ... or is safe to eat ... after you start fermentation?

I'd like to fill a 55-gall plastic drum I have with feed and ferment it all. I only have 13 chickens, so it would take a while to consume it all.

Right now my 5 gallon bucket doesn't seem to get over-fermented before they eat it all.

My reasoning behind this is that the chooks would get food that was a different stages of fermentation, thus getting slightly different nutrition profiles as they consume the barrel.

It takes a few days to get through the 5-gal bucket.

I don't think it ferments enough during that time. But I like your idea of using 2 buckets. I think you have hit the solution! That would allow the other bucket to ferment properly before consumption.

How long does this stuff last ... or is safe to eat ... after you start fermentation?
I wouldn't eat it :lol:

I'd like to fill a 55-gall plastic drum I have with feed and ferment it all. I only have 13 chickens, so it would take a while to consume it all.
:eek:
5gal bucket works great for me 13-60 varying ages, I don't count :oops:,
55gal barrel would be good for a hundred. ..

It takes a few days to get through the 5-gal bucket.

I don't think it ferments enough during that time. But I like your idea of using 2 buckets. I think you have hit the solution! That would allow the other bucket to ferment properly before consumption.
Three buckets would be OK, if your worrying about the ferment. During the hot summer months I'm pretty sure one bucket using the backslop to get er going is plenty, she's working pretty good.

No, not covered. Just grew out of the bucket and made a mess so I got a bigger bucket. Thanks :highfive:
Then just stir the mix every now and then. This accomplishes two things, one it allows trapped gasses to escape and two it evenly distributes the SCOBY*, giving them fresher feed to feast on and making for an even ferment.

I found that gas buildup decreases markedly after the first 24 hours (probably mostly the simpler carbohydrates being processed then) but I only ferment my feed in single serving batches. It might vary in larger amounts.

*Symbiotic Colony Of Bacteria / Yeast

Then just stir the mix every now and then. This accomplishes two things, one it allows trapped gasses to escape and two it evenly distributes the SCOBY*, giving them fresher feed to feast on and making for an even ferment.

I found that gas buildup decreases markedly after the first 24 hours (probably mostly the simpler carbohydrates being processed then) but I only ferment my feed in single serving batches. It might vary in larger amounts.

*Symbiotic Colony Of Bacteria / Yeast

I've gotten to the point I add water to the bucket every couple days and then enough feed to get the desired consistency, my girls don't care for it if it goes longer than that. I just needed a bigger bucket because I over filled what I was using.

Back
Top Bottom