FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

:flI’m about to take the leap to ff only:fl
I started using it last year and quit when it got cold in November and went to dry then just started back up April 1
I got a 5 gallon bucket and mix in that. I add more as I use it.
I fill two 13 cup containers in the morning and then if they are gone by late afternoon I fill it once more. Boy that sounds like a lot :hmm I feed 30 layers.
And in March I got 17 chicks and ff their feed too. I serve
In a container about half that size
I am thinking about going to all flock feed so I don’t have to buy chick starter and layer feed. I do have egg shells mixed with oyster shell on the side. About a week ago I have started letting the two out together. But it’s a hassle to try and keep them both from the others food.
And from what I have read all flock is a good choice for that. I am assuming as long as I provide the egg shells I can put both on all flock indefinitely?!?
And I am hoping to have a broody and baby chicks. So all flock it is?
Oh and one other thing:D if we have some one else tend to the chickens if we aren’t home can they go to dry and then back to ff when we get home? Trying to make it simple for helpers.

Thanks
Connie

Last edited:
I started using it last year and quit when it got cold in November and went to dry then just started back up April 1
I fill two 13 cup containers in the morning and then if they are gone by late afternoon I fill it once more. Boy that sounds like a lot :hmm I feed 30 layers.
I am thinking about going to all flock feed so I don’t have to buy chick starter and layer feed. I do have egg shells mixed with oyster shell on the side. About a week ago I have started letting the two out together. But it’s a hassle to try and keep them both from the others food.
And from what I have read all flock is a good choice for that. I am assuming as long as I provide the egg shells I can put both on all flock indefinitely?!?
Oh and one other thing:D if we have some one else tend to the chickens if we aren’t home can they go to dry and then back to ff when we get home? Trying to make it simple for helpers.

Thanks
Connie

I still give my girls chick starter just put some oyster shell on the side. Egg shells too, which go first.

Thanks
Connie
all flock is good, lots of people use it with good results
i feed grower to everyone with oyster shell on the side

@Crs1

I start my chicks on FF soon after hatch.

Multi flock is a good choice. I put my flock on unmedicated starter when there are chicks, and switch them back to layer any time after the chicks loose their peep.

Integrating during supervised free range is an excellent way to do it, and that is what works best for me. It's my goal to start integration at 4 - 5 weeks when they are weaned off MHP, and have integration completed by the time they are 8 weeks old.

I also took my flock off FF during the sub zero winter days. When day time temps in coop got up to 20* or higher, I started giving them FF again. I kind of switched back and forth all winter depending on temps, sometimes having both dry and FF out.

If you need to put them on dry feed for any reason during the summer, you can hold back a small container of the ferment culture in your fridge. That way, when you're ready to ferment again, you can add that culture to feed and warm water, and be right back in business again.

Ok I think I understand most of that except I don’t know what is meant by lose their peep. And do you put the pullets on layer feed too after that:idunno?
My pullets have beeen on medicated chick feed since I got them because it’s cheaper from my grain store. 10.00 for 50 pounds the layer is the same cost.

When my chicks start going through chickie puberty, their peep turns into a cluck. Other flock owners would be totally appalled at putting a pullet on layer before that first egg appears. Me, I have not seen any issues, and my non laying roosters also eat layer pellets.

One of my 17 pullets turned out to be a cockerel. And boy does he honk!! God bless him he’s trying one day he will sound just like a growed up rooster
Thank you for the advice!

The feed recommended by the rescue I'll be getting my chucks from says not to feed wet or dampened. Any one figure the reason for this? I contacted the producers on Saturday about it, and I guess I'm just impatient.

This is the feed. http://www.animalfeedstore.com/Small-Holder-Range/Natural-Free-Range-Layers-MealCrumble.asp

Unless it's something all manufacturers put on their feed (probably should have checked that out first, huh?) to cover themselves in case of someone feeding soiled food, the only other thing I can think of is that they add yeast as a probiotic.

Back
Top Bottom