FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Can anyone tell me whether this is yeast(scoby) or mold on my fermented feed? I haven't had this happen before, however this batch has been going a while. Yes I stir it every day, as I feed them every morning. Thank in advance!

Attachments

• 20200924_065847.jpg
    20200924_065847.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 8
My birds all love it. They finish everything in their troughs, and I come in every couple hours to restock the chick's feed. No pickiness, no leftovers.

Out of curiosity though, why are you wasting the leftovers? Back when I was learning proper portions I just stopped it back into my bucket to reuse?
it usually has pieces of pine bedding and sometimes poo that they kick up... I have started hanging the feeder and there is less debris in it now, but still get some in there

Some flocks don't go for fermented feed, I hear. Like humans, they can be picky. I only ferment mine through the day or at most overnight & feed in the evening. I always have some left in the bucket for next day's batch. It rises & smells like a delicious batch of sourdough. I almost am tempted to snitch a bite...

My birds adore it. If I feel generous and overdo the quantities, I'll have some left in their dishes next day, but they usually polish it off before I let them out in the morning.

What feed chart is recommended for FF in the Cornish x? Would the measurement be wet weight (fermented) or dry weight? I’m at 2 weeks with 50 beaks.

I always have some left in the bucket for next day's batch. It rises & smells like a delicious batch of sourdough. I almost am tempted to snitch a bite...
Essentially is IS sourdough... You start the FF pretty much the same way you start a sourdough from scratch, and it is just fermenting, yeasty grains... so... why not? lol

I try all of my horses treats, there is one that is made from the trash generated from making apple juice and cider (the pulp and cores) that is just GROSS, but the horses love them for some reason... The peppermint ones are good though

Back
Top Bottom