FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

hmm, well that's interesting, because kahm yeast is aerobic, so it likes air. Unless what you have there is not kahm yeast, in which case I would be a little concerned...
Could you take a photo of the yeast undisturbed and before you stir it in - if it show up again?

I actually attached a picture a couple days ago. I'll attach again however this mornings yeast I didn't get a picture. It looked like a light dusting on top. Similar to the picture I'm attaching just less dense

Attachments

• 20200924_065847.jpg
    20200924_065847.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 8
I actually attached a picture a couple days ago. I'll attach again however this mornings yeast I didn't get a picture. It looked like a light dusting on top. Similar to the picture I'm attaching just less dense
It'll be best if you can take a photo before it's scooped out. did it cover the entire top of the food, or was it in patches?

It'll be best if you can take a photo before it's scooped out. did it cover the entire top of the food, or was it in patches?

Originally I took that picture just for my husband, I didn't think to post it on here until after I stirred it.
The first time I have the yeast growth it was 2 patches. This morning it was a very light layer over the whole top

Originally I took that picture just for my husband, I didn't think to post it on here until after I stirred it.
The first time I have the yeast growth it was 2 patches. This morning it was a very light layer over the whole top
Well the bad news is kahm yeast usually covers the entire surface and doesn’t appear in patches.

Buuuut then again you have a fairly dry ferment... So Im not sure completely sure.

If you want to be on the safe side you can start a new batch of fermented feed afresh. make sure to keep it far far away from the old ferment to prevent contamination. If you want to reuse the same container for fermenting again, I would recommend running it through the dishwasher on a hot cycle to try andthoroughly kill the mold/yeast spores.

Even if it is mold, white mold isn’t usually harmful, but honestly I wouldn’t risk my birds...

Well the bad news is kahm yeast usually covers the entire surface and doesn’t appear in patches.

Buuuut then again you have a fairly dry ferment... So Im not sure completely sure.

If you want to be on the safe side you can start a new batch of fermented feed afresh. make sure to keep it far far away from the old ferment to prevent contamination. If you want to reuse the same container for fermenting again, I would recommend running it through the dishwasher on a hot cycle to try andthoroughly kill the mold/yeast spores.

Even if it is mold, white mold isn’t usually harmful, but honestly I wouldn’t risk my birds...

Yea I can totally relate to that, I definitely don't want to harm my girls!!
I just hate being wasteful ya know? so I just wanted to see the consensus.
Thank you for taking the time! :)

This is the consistency of my fermented feed.

My ferment is done in a large stainless steel bowl. after about 6 hours on the counter, I always put my ferment in the fridge. Because that’s when the fermenting bacteria starts to slow down and weaken - which is when mold and other bacteria like to sneak in.

Basically I treat it like all my other ferments, if it’s not going to be “fed” (that is -adding more crumbles/feed for the bacteria to feed on) then in the fridge it goes. The colder environment slows the ferment down and maintains an ideal environment for the good bacteria.

Using this method, I’ve never gotten mold, lid on, lid off, stirred or not stirred.

D8A92A4D-6AC8-437A-9EDF-B002447F30DF.jpeg
44E5CA88-B533-4053-A9C2-6C6DE208429A.jpeg

Fermenting chicken feed is a bit addicting. I am a fermenting addict..lol Ever since I first read this thread, I have been doing it with all their chicken feed. I accidentally bought a whole big bag of pellets the other day. I actually hate them, as do my chickens....So what to do with them? Ok, you can ferment any feed, right? Turned really mushy and sticky, but the chickens gobbled it all up. Yeah! Now the bag is gone, we are back to their normal chicken mix feed, that does in fact ferment really well and smells so much better.

I'm reading through this thread but wanted to ask this so I don't forget.
If feeding a pellet/crumble and fermented grain do you have a ratio of how much? I can get grains cheaper than chicken feed but I don't want to cause deficiencies. Assuming they are on deep bedding and don't have ground/foraging access.

Is there an issue switching from fermented and not with the seasons? As in when it's warm enough I'll have it fermenting and when its constantly too cold I'll taper off?

I read a rule of thumb is 1/3# per chicken, per day. Is this a good estimate?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom