Fermented Feeds

@beekissed: You use fermented feed in a wooden trough? What did you use to seal (waterproof) the wood, and how did you build it without metal screws or nails, as I heard that FF and metal are a no-no? I ask because I do need a bigger trough, and wood and I are old friends.

I didn't use anything to seal it, nor waterproof it. And I used metal screws, as they are sunk into the wood and not much exposed to the FF...and that FF is gone so fast that it doesn't have a chance to effect fasteners much. If you'd like to use some kind of silicone sealant to try and seal off your fasteners it might work....but then again, it might not. I've got holes drilled in the bottom of these troughs so that any excess fluid drains off of the feed , thus moisture just isn't much of an issue.

I feel like the idea of FF has split into two different ideas; one where oxygen is opposed and the other where oxygen is encouraged. I was always taught that fermentation happens because there is a lack of oxygen and the processes happen because there is no oxygen.

I feel like the idea of FF has split into two different ideas; one where oxygen is opposed and the other where oxygen is encouraged. I was always taught that fermentation happens because there is a lack of oxygen and the processes happen because there is no oxygen.

Plenty of people have that idea and there's a blogsite that even promotes that idea emphatically, even though they've been told the truth.

Quote:
http://www.wildfermentation.com/aerobic-vs-anaerobic-fermentation-controversy/

Quick question. My birds love the fermented feed I've been giving them. It's very cold outside & I was going to warm the feed up for them, but was wondering if I heat it too much will it kill everything in it that makes it good for them? If I microwave it, heat it in the oven or on the stove top? Don't wanna kill all the good critters growing but I'm sure the girls would love a warm pan of FF sinece it's 20 degrees
1f60a.png

Quick question. My birds love the fermented feed I've been giving them. It's very cold outside & I was going to warm the feed up for them, but was wondering if I heat it too much will it kill everything in it that makes it good for them? If I microwave it, heat it in the oven or on the stove top? Don't wanna kill all the good critters growing but I'm sure the girls would love a warm pan of FF sinece it's 20 degrees
1f60a.png

I'd skip warming it and just take it out at room temps...that's warm enough for them and you won't have to worry about killing anything good.

See if y'all like this video:

You don't need to keep the water over the feed to get LAB growth in the feed. No matter what anyone says, that's a fallacy. Most who are doing this are not keeping water over the feed at all.

" In the vocabulary of microbiology, lactic acid bacteria are “facultative” in that they that do not require oxygen, but are not inhibited by its presence; in contrast, certain other bacteria (for example Clostridium botulinum) are “obligate” anaerobes that require a perfectly anaerobic environment."

Please don't tell people their chickens will get sick if they don't cover the food with water as it's just not so. That's an untruth and it scares people away from FF rather than encouraging them to use it. The feed containers will not grow mold overnight~that's yeast growth~ and will not make the birds sick and mold will not contaminate the feed bucket, nor will it cause the feed to go sour or rotten....a highly fermented feed will smell sour or almost rotten in the summer months, but that is not caused by bacteria or mold growth at all, it's due to increased acetic acid which is the by product of deeper fermentation.

Please, please get the fact straight before instructing others?

Hey thanks for this thread! I ginned up my first batch of FF a couple days ago and gave some to the girls this morning. They LOVE it! Im excited to get going on this full time for them as I like they idea of making them healthier and happier. I need to dial in on the amounts and rotation scheme but I really like the idea. I used their organic layer pellets for the base as I'm not at the point where I've done my own grains yet. That will come.

Hello I'm new here! Sorry in advance if I asked same old questions but with a five year old next to me, it's close to impossible to read through all the threads. I've been reading a lot on fermented feeds and started having my girl to give a very small amount (1 TSP) to 6 of my one-week old chicks as treats only since yesterday. They eat primarily the baby starter crumbles. At what age can I stop giving them crumbles and switch completely to fermented feeds? Is it a bad idea to exclusively feed them with fermented feeds? I also plan to let them out when the rain storm stops but it won't be happening for maybe another week. If I need to supplement fermented seeds with something else, can I use store bought pellets instead of crumbles when they are already one week old? Sorry again if my questions are so elementary. The learning curve is steep for a newbie like me....

Back
Top Bottom