Fermented Feeds

And how nasty is the smell and do does your starter have fish meal or some other protein in it. Mine has fish meal, smells awful fermented and the chickens would kill each other to get at it. The rooster is crazy about it.

Yeah I read bubbles was the way to go because of all the live cultures, plus it was nice digging into that sauer kraut myself ;)
Joanmcm, it smelled really awful, I read it should smell tangy and sweet like yogurt. This smelled more like vomit so I knew it was bad. I think my biggest mistake was using layers crumbles, I need to do this with whole grains, not some processed stuff with preservatives.

Yeah I read bubbles was the way to go because of all the live cultures, plus it was nice digging into that sauer kraut myself ;)
Joanmcm, it smelled really awful, I read it should smell tangy and sweet like yogurt. This smelled more like vomit so I knew it was bad. I think my biggest mistake was using layers crumbles, I need to do this with whole grains, not some processed stuff with preservatives.

hey ill tell u what i did so u can compare. i used a non metal container and fill it 1/4 with tap water then put in a glug of unpasturized acv then put in whatever feed u want making sure to add enough water to cover an inch or two over i used flock raiser i dont think it matters what food u use stir a couple times a day and add new food and water to replace the old and make sure there is always water covering the bad smell might have been caused by using sour croute using old food foof instead of pure ferment may have spoiled it

I use a metal spoon and haven't had any problems. I found it at a thrift store and would guess it's stainless steel. Unless you a leaving the spoon I the feed all the time I don't see how this would cause your FF to go bad. Did you check to see if your crumbles contain any animal protein such as fish meal?
I suspect this is the culprit for the bad odor. Also the feed needs to remain completely submerged under water as the Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB) work in an oxygen free (anaerobic) environment. Bad molds and bacteria will thrive if allowed contact with oxygen. If you are using the juice from a commercial sauerkraut as a starter it needs to be one that was created by lactic acid fermentation (vs vinegar) and not pasteurized. Apple cider vinegar does not contain LABs but does inhibit the growth of non-beneficial bacteria giving LABs a chance to thrive.

Re-reading your post, were you stirring the feed a few times a day? If not I wonder if the carbon dioxide created by the fermentation pushed the mass of your ff up to the top? Your crumbles could very well have made a very thick layer that the co2 was not able to get through.

Last edited:
I am getting chicks(35) crosses tomorrow, can i feed them fermented food? i got a batch cookin up.
I haven't done it so I am not sure but baby chicks need the food to be small bits, sometimes even smaller that it is out of the bag, and they need to poop lots yo get their digestive systems ready especially the first few days. I usually feed chick feed (medicated the first few weeks) mixed with cultured buttermilk (2 parts feed to one part buttermilk), The buttermilk all but eliminates pasty butt before it gets started.

Yeah I used bubbies sauer kraut; it's a live culture non pasteurized product... For 3 days or so there was plenty of water above the feed then on the fourth it was all churning and bubbling... Used Purina layena. I think this week I'm gonna head to a local feed mill and jut try again with some whole grains. Maybe use a clear plastic food bucket so I can see a little more of what's going on..

Kakayoni, personally I would hold off on chics and FF, there's a lot of variables possible such as alcohol, bad acteria etc possible. A pullet or hen can probably deal with a bad batch or two but could be bad news for a chic... Just my opinion... I suppose it all depends on how confident you are in your fermentation consistency...

peterjamo, Bubbies is the way to go. I make my own sauerkraut. The 'mother' in either would ferment whatever it grows in. Honestly my feed contains fish meal (as well as whole grains). It is from a local mill and appears to be pretty much the Polyface recipe. Fermented it smells bad but does not smell decayed. The chickens act like it is the greatest thing ever and frankly I have to give a little bit to the dog cause she is crazy about it too. All are pooping fine etc.

I think you are right to try another batch if you are not comfortable with it. I do just about a quart of feed at a time and add water and feed and stir everyday.
I think you

Back
Top Bottom