fermented food oops

jadeguppy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 28, 2014
NW Florida
I just tried to start my first batch of ff, but forgot and used regular tap water. Will the batch be salvageable after the chlorine evaporates or will too much be absorbed by the pellets to make it usable? I do have acv I can add to it tomorrow.

I just tried to start my first batch of ff, but forgot and used regular tap water. Will the batch be salvageable after the chlorine evaporates or will too much be absorbed by the pellets to make it usable? I do have acv I can add to it tomorrow.
ACV will act like an antibiotic and impede fermentation. If you doubt my word wet a rag with a little ACV and wipe it on a yeast infection. Only remember that I told you so.

Last edited:
Nonsense. The mother in ACV is a bacteria that breeds inside the bottle. It is what started the cider making process, hence why it's called the mother. Just because it isn't yeast, doesn't mean it isn't fermenting.
ACV is a prebiotic which feeds probiotics.
Antibiotic means "Anti life"
Probiotic means "Pro life"
Prebiotic means "Pre life"
But to answer your question, leave the container with it's lid off, yes, the chlorine will evaporate. Just give it a few extra slugs of ACV.

Edit: Typo.

Last edited:
ACV will act like an antibiotic and impede fermentation. If you doubt my word wet a rag with a little ACV and wipe it on a yeast infection. Only remember that I told you so.
th.gif
Please doubt. That's absolutely the most false information I think I've ever seen on here. I'm a nurse..if a yeast infection could be cured by ACV, I think the whole medical profession would jump on that and celebrate to the rafters.

To the OP...please don't believe that ACV is an antibiotic. It's an absolutely ridiculous falsehood.

Last edited:
I am a research-oholic and have read up a ton on fermenting their food. I mentioned the acv because so many use the braggs to jump start the process. I knew not to use tap water and have a six stage water purifier for my sw aquarium, but got ahead of myself and realized it as soon as I emptied the layer bag into the jar. I just wasn't sure if the absorption of water by the pellets would hold in cloride and prevent the process. Good to know it won't. My girls are almost a year old, but they already eat cooked oat and such so I think it will be easy to get them to eat it. I just hope they don't like it more than foraging my yard. ;)

Depends on the chlorine level in your water. There's a good chance your feed will ferment just fine but will take longer. If you have some raw sauerkraut juice or kefir or sourdough starter, you could add a bit of that to speed up the process, but do this after the chlorine has evaporated.. ACV won't speed up the process, but it will lower the pH, which is what you want. If you have none of those things on hand perhaps a capsule or two of probiotics might help.

Ps, others are correct, ACV is not an antibiotic. Perhaps it has an effect on yeast infections (I don't know) but not as an antibiotic. Chlorine is an antibiotic...but I bet you wouldn't want to put that on a yeast infection!

Last edited:
I am starting to see tiny bubbles on e side of the jar. :D. I've given my girls some the last two days and they have gobbled it up.

Little bubbles have turned into volcanoes.

Question, I have part of a bale of alphalfa. Will it be beneficial to add a bit to the ff jar?

Little bubbles have turned into volcanoes.

Question, I have part of a bale of alphalfa. Will it be beneficial to add a bit to the ff jar?

Try it and see if they like it. I bought a 50lbs bag of alfalfa pellets and they don't like it. Not dry nor fermented. We do have some neighborly horses that I'm sure will love it :)

You can add anything to the fermenting bucket, all food benefits from fermentation. I use the rule "diversity is key". Alphalfa would be a great addition. I add a scoop of wheat bran to mine for an additional protein boost and it kind of thickens up the mix to a nicer consistancy to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom