fermenting chicken feed

Unmedicated feed (any)
Water
One capful of unpasteurized acv (optional)

Mix some water with acv then mix with feed in equal parts, giving time for it to soak in until it's the consistency of thick oatmeal. Cover.
Every day add more water and feed and stir aggressively then cover once a day until it starts to smell a bit sour-sweet.
It is now fermented. Feed it out and replenish daily.

If it molds it went wrong. Learn about yeast vs mold blooms before assuming you see mold.

I’ve just starting fermenting feed for my flock. I tried it a few years ago in a glass crock using the scoop some and replace some method. I did have some issues with mold. This time I purchased some gallon sized glass jars to use. I put 3 cups of layer pellets in a jar and fill with water up to 3 in from the top. I stir it and place cheesecloth over the top held in place with a rubber band. I stir it two or three times per day. You can smell it getting sour by the second day. On the third day, I drain off the liquid on top and feed the fermented feed to my birds. I have been using the drained liquid to start a new batch and totally replacing it with fresh water after 2 or 3 batches. I use filtered water. don’t recommend using city water due to the chemicals in it. I have 3 batches going at a time so there is always one ready for feeding. I usually mix extra things into the feed like sea kelp, calendula flowers, alfalfa pieces, sometimes oregano oil, etc. My birds love it!!!
1583677871684.png

I’ve just starting fermenting feed for my flock. I tried it a few years ago in a glass crock using the scoop some and replace some method. I did have some issues with mold. This time I purchased some gallon sized glass jars to use. I put 3 cups of layer pellets in a jar and fill with water up to 3 in from the top. I stir it and place cheesecloth over the top held in place with a rubber band. I stir it two or three times per day. You can smell it getting sour by the second day. On the third day, I drain off the liquid on top and feed the fermented feed to my birds. I have been using the drained liquid to start a new batch and totally replacing it with fresh water after 2 or 3 batches. I use filtered water. don’t recommend using city water due to the chemicals in it. I have 3 batches going at a time so there is always one ready for feeding. I usually mix extra things into the feed like sea kelp, calendula flowers, alfalfa pieces, sometimes oregano oil, etc. My birds love it!!! View attachment 2045654
that sounds great im going to try it

Right now, I feed mine fermented feed every morning and have dry feed available at all times. Once I have my breeding pens set up, I might feed them fermented feed twice a day. I’m also going to start sprouting whole grains for them.

Back
Top Bottom