Fermenting containers

pattijoiner

Chirping
Feb 20, 2021
North Georgia
Hi y’all!
If you ferment your feed, what containers are you using? What’s your process? I’m trying to be more efficient here.....
I’m currently using 64oz mason jar, straining half of it at a time into another container and then pouring the water back in. I want to upgrade to a bigger container I think.
what do you all use?

Attachments

• 7F9BCBE5-8752-4E0D-8610-5E1461E11617.jpeg
    7F9BCBE5-8752-4E0D-8610-5E1461E11617.jpeg
    497.3 KB · Views: 10
5 gallon buckets - Lowes and Home Depot. I have too many birds to do smaller quantities. (Full disclosure, I don't deliberately ferment any more. No objections to it, just wasn't seeing huge benefits - my birds already free range, which helps with feed bills - and I needed the space the fermenting buckets were taking up for another project. Planning to return to it in Winter, when there is less to free range.)

The easiest way is to mix the feed to the consistency you like. A little runny makes it easier to scoop. Add fresh feed and water to the one bucket, stir and feed it tomorrow. The fermented feed left in the bucket will speed up tomorrow's feed. You don't need multiple buckets, you don't need to drain anything off and you don't need to make things anymore complicated than they already are.

Back
Top Bottom