Fermenting feed for layers?

Hmmm.. I didn't use sugar or acv. I covered with water and sealed tight for 5 days. I was making a gallon jar for 24 teen age chicks. . Rolled the jar around 2 times a day. It was bubbling is that fermitted?

Last edited:
Hmmm.. I didn't use sugar or acv. I covered with water and sealed tight for 5 days. I was making a gallon jar for 24 teen age chicks. . Rolled the jar around 2 times a day. It was bubbling is that fermitted?

Sounds like it's ready to feed. How does it smell? I do it different. I don't cover with water and I have it loosely covered so air can circulate. Different strokes. If it's ready pull out some and start another jar. You are going to need it with 24. Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
My 13 girls are almost 3 mos old and have been on FF for the entire time. They are one month away from POL. I'm really interested in how the eggs are going to taste. I've heard that it mellows it out and is better. We'll see. I've combined this with the deep litter method like Beekissed suggested. No smell. Yea.!!
On another matter, I've had the incubator cooking for 21 days on my very first hatch. Today it is up to 10 out of 12 put in lockdown. I bought these super blue egg layers from DMRippy and quickly reordered last night. Great packing. 10 out of 14 shipped eggs. Amazing for this newbie.
celebrate.gif

I've been feeding my chicks fermented chick starter, sometimes with a bit of scratch thrown into the fermenting bucket, for a couple weeks now. They don't jump on it like they initially did, but take their time and clean out their bowl a couple times a day.

I recently gave them their first batch of grit--they've been mostly on crumbles, so I didn't think it was necessary, and the 4 of them cleaned out the entire bowl! I'm hoping they can't eat enough grit that they don't get hungry, but at the moment, it seems like that may have slowed down their appetites a bit.

I have young chickens outside, too, that are a few weeks older, and they tend to love their grit, too. I know most people seem to leave a dish of grit out for their layers to take at will, but has anyone ever had the chickens overeat the grit and end up suffering for it?

I've been feeding my chicks fermented chick starter, sometimes with a bit of scratch thrown into the fermenting bucket, for a couple weeks now. They don't jump on it like they initially did, but take their time and clean out their bowl a couple times a day.

I recently gave them their first batch of grit--they've been mostly on crumbles, so I didn't think it was necessary, and the 4 of them cleaned out the entire bowl! I'm hoping they can't eat enough grit that they don't get hungry, but at the moment, it seems like that may have slowed down their appetites a bit.

I have young chickens outside, too, that are a few weeks older, and they tend to love their grit, too. I know most people seem to leave a dish of grit out for their layers to take at will, but has anyone ever had the chickens overeat the grit and end up suffering for it?

Hey mommacassey, you gotta know that the heat is taking their appetites away. They are going to eat less in the summer. I'm in NW La and can tell a difference in just this past week. They are down about 1/3. I can't let them range so it's what I feed them.
frow.gif

Hey mommacassey, you gotta know that the heat is taking their appetites away. They are going to eat less in the summer. I'm in NW La and can tell a difference in just this past week. They are down about 1/3. I can't let them range so it's what I feed them.
frow.gif

My younger set of chicks are still indoors... and yesterday, they didn't finish their feed at all. Maybe it's that natural slow-down of intake I've read about around here, too--one of the reasons FF is a great idea.

My younger set of chicks are still indoors... and yesterday, they didn't finish their feed at all. Maybe it's that natural slow-down of intake I've read about around here, too--one of the reasons FF is a great idea.

Yes, you may well be right. My 6 day olds have been on it 3 days and are going nuts over it. I just have a feeling that this is going to be a really good year for chickens. A late start because of the weather but so far, really, really good.
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom