Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

So I have a few more questions that i can't seem to find answers to on my own. #1 now that the feed is fermented do I need to keep it in the fermenting liquid or do I take it out an store it somewhere else. Or just dip out what I need to feed?
#2 do I still offer pellets once I start feeding the ff? I feel like my chickens are going to be very bord because they spend all day eating. I think they maybe part hog lol
I feel like I had another question I can't remember now

https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Ok I know I'm probably driving yall crazy with these questions! And I'm sorry! Is the water supposed to remain above the soild feed threw the entire process or only the first day or two? Maybe someone can direct me to a good YouTube video as a reference. I feel like I'm seeing and reading mixed opinions.

Ok I know I'm probably driving yall crazy with these questions! And I'm sorry! Is the water supposed to remain above the soild feed threw the entire process or only the first day or two? Maybe someone can direct me to a good YouTube video as a reference. I feel like I'm seeing and reading mixed opinions.

On this thread, you'll probably mostly find the opinion that the water will be above the feed when you first start, but by the next day it should have absorbed into the feed so fully that you shouldn't really see much water at all.

Here's a few vids showing me refreshing my feed~ignore the two bucket system, as it's not important and I no longer use it as this process has evolved....so much so that I now have a single bucket, now add the water first, then the dry feed and stir it well with the leftovers from the last batch.....I'll have to make a new vid for this first part, I can see.

0.jpg

0.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe try making smaller batches so you only have enough feed for a few days. That is what I do with my hot days 100 plus days, back slop on day 3 or 4. Keeps the feed fresh and still good ferment overnight. my friend who only has 3 hens uses a gallon ice cream container so she is replenishing every few days.

Hitting 110 here on a regular basis, and steamy with humidity, I had a batch go bad after near 3 weeks when the temps got up this summer. The heat will likely persist for another month in all likelihood. So,until the temps drop a bit I'll keep rotating two buckets. I simply start a second bucket two days before I want to end the one I'm using. 

I'm pretty sure that yeasts do well in temps up to around 100, over that they can die off and the batch can get taken over by much less desirable bugs. I know that with bread yeasts, for example, the prime temp for multiplying is 95, the only reason for using hotter(105-110) water is for dissolving and proofing the yeast before adding other ingredients, which then cools the yeast down. 

Last edited:
Today I stumbled upon the world of fermenting feed! I currently have chicks and plan on fermenting their grower feed that I already bought. I just have three questions

1) Can I ferment food that has animal protein?
2) Is the longer it is fermented, the better? Should I start now and feed them it in 1.5 weeks they hit the 6 week mark?
If yes, do I just keep adding water once it appears to dry a little?
3) If you can't ferment feed that has animal protein - which is better? Fermented feed without animal protein or feed that contains animal protein?

Thank you!!

What do people use to feed their FF in? At first I tried a bowl, which was quickly flipped over, then I tried a plate, which they just walked on... so I've been reduced to putting it on a rubber mat in their run. Which works, I guess, but I'd prefer a cleaner area. Won't the metal troughs just leach into the food?

What do others use?

What do people use to feed their FF in? At first I tried a bowl, which was quickly flipped over, then I tried a plate, which they just walked on... so I've been reduced to putting it on a rubber mat in their run. Which works, I guess, but I'd prefer a cleaner area. Won't the metal troughs just leach into the food?

What do others use?

The most successful feeders for FF are troughs, usually wooden or plastic, that folks make. They are easy to construct...takes about 10 min. and you can even use scrap lumber...and they last a long time. Some folks use vinyl rain guttering with wood support to keep them from bending down the sides and some hang the vinyl guttering up from chains instead. Some use really nifty PVC troughs and those are easy to build also. Some have made some nifty small feeders from wallpaper paste trays in a wooden frame.

Some use the heavy rubber feed pans one would use for horses and cows, but those can be walked in easily and tipped over by the heavier birds.

If you'll look to the side of this thread you'll see the gallery of pics that have been posted here of different troughs....just run down that gallery and you'll see some excellent examples of troughs that are easily made and last a long, long time.

Here's one made from an old miter box of my Dad's and a small one for chicks.....

Here's a cute one from PVC...not mine...

Here's a trough being constructed in a simple "V" pattern of attaching two boards together and then capping the ends with "feet" that will lift the trough up to chest height. That's the style of wooden trough I use most frequently.

This is the one I'm using now...and, no, the birds don't roost on it and poop in the trough. The bar across the top is to keep dominant birds from standing in the feeder and crowding out others and also as a handle for when I move it.

hyelaw Long time lurker here. I thought I would share my ff trough. I made it from some recycled wood and a piece of plastic rain gutter. I cut notches in the two end pieces/legs approximately the shape of the gutter.......but a tiny bit smaller so it would be snug. I screwed the legs onto a 2 X 4 that is a few inches shorter than the gutter so the gutter overhangs a bit. The gutter is supported by the 2 X 4. Simple to make and works like a charm! The height of the top of the gutter should be even with your hens' backs.
I hope you can see the photo. I haven't done this often.
Cheryl

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?u...tt&th=14f95459edb65336&attid=0.1&disp=safe&zw

What do others use?

At Tractor Supply you can get these neat black hard rubber bowls in all sizes. They aren't expensive and work like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom