Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

From my understanding bread itself is bad because the glutinous structure of it gums up the gizzard and stomach of birds. They just are not equipped to deal with it.

Now, thinking about it... it's possible that if dried, really dried, like to crouton status, and crumbled, then a small amount (say maybe 10% or less) wouldn't be entirely harmful once added to the feed and fermented. I've never seen a glutinous structure reconstitute from full on toasted status and I've played with breads for many years. The toasting seems to denature the structure of the protein.

It seems like a lot of work for a small increase in feed though. However, if you were just tossing a few things in with other things already in the oven to fully dry/toast them... maybe?

I'm sure someone else will have something more educated to say about this than me. My comments are more related to baking breads than to feeding them.

Hi I am new to ff I haven't tried it but I can't wait to. From what I heard it does wonders for chickens and cuts down on the feed cost well I better start reading I have alot to go through.

I have a system I would like you all to critique, I am going to try ferment feed on a commercial scale

A 275 gallon IBC tank with the top cut off, raised up on pallets. Then you add your feed (400 lb. @Max) and water with starter culture, then after 24 hours drain soup out through the 2 inch ball valve that comes on the IBC run this through something to separate the water and feed. Catch water in a 55 gallon drum and Backslop with it. Stir with a canoe paddle. Re-use the water all summer, if the tank get gunky or gross I will spray it out while I have the water drained off. I would like to have feed done every 24 hours

Also would someone mind re-posting the benefits of fermented feed?

Thank you

I have but my birds seemed to like the oat groats better...the did eat the game feed better with the oats mixed in. About every 2 days I feed fermented but I have a big tub with game bird feed, flock crumbles, laying mash all mixed together and I pour the fermented oat groats and the liquid into the mix and stir it up good and they gobble it up...every bit.

Has anyone tried giving their chickens the extra scobys produced from kombucha (fermented tea)? I have a few too many of those. Thanks!!

Has anyone tried giving their chickens the extra scobys produced from kombucha (fermented tea)? I have a few too many of those. Thanks!!

Personally, I don't recommend giving scobys from Kombucha since it is made on tea. Because of the caffeine (or caffeine-like substance in addition to other issues) I feel like it's likely not a good fit for livestock.

I don't agree with the answer you got below, but go to google and ask your question. There are varied answers. Pick and choose.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom