Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

You know... I was asking myself the same thing about water softeners. Reason being, its filled with 50 lbs bags of salt monthly. The water doesn't taste salty to me... But, I wonder what actually makes it into our drinking water. Hard water (before the softener) would seem to contain more minerals. So... What would be better? True, my chickens stop at the first body of water they spot. Lol! They'll stand right in the middle of the puddle filling up.

Well....mine is coming up through limestone - so....I actually prefer the water straight from the well. I only like the softened water in my showers (hate, hate, hate trying to scrub the mineral build up off the walls). Never really gave it much thought as to which would have the best nutritional impact.

Well....mine is coming up through limestone - so....I actually prefer the water straight from the well.  I only like the softened water in my showers (hate, hate, hate trying to scrub the mineral  build up off the walls).  Never really gave it much thought as to which would have the best nutritional impact.

I too actually prefer the taste of the water straight from the well. I have a love - hate relationship with it. :D

Ok, so my feed has been "cooking" for almost a week now, and still no bubbles. It smells sour and slightly pickled, but I have to really get my nose in the bucket to even smell that. I started feeding it yesterday, because i figured even if it's just soaked it still should be better than dry, and my two are nuts over it. But I'm concerned that it's not really fermenting. I'm fermenting whole oats, and scratch, with some split peas and barley thrown in.

Also, I wanted to supplement with some flax seed. I know you don't sprout it because it gets so slimey when it soaks
sickbyc.gif
. should I throw it into the ferment bucket, or serve it as a top dressing with my ground eggshells and kelp meal?? and should I grind it for the chickens like I would for other animals, or can they manage the seeds themselves in their crops (seeds are too hard for most animals to digest, but, unsure of that concerning chickens with the grit in their crops?).

also, as a completely new chicken owner, having trouble wrapping my head around how much to feed them... is it possible to feed them too much? they clean up what I give them twice a day (although not immediately), should I give them more until there's a little left? Is there a sort of "about x amount per chicken then adjust to suit current needs?" Currently they're not getting free range, they'll start that sunday. Plenty of fresh air and sunshine through the double doors on the shed during the day though. I give them all the fruit/veggie scraps from the kitchen, and some leftover bread/scraps of meat/cooking grease as well. I feel super sorry for them shut up, but I don't want them to run off and haven't had them quite a week yet! I've been splitting up their kitchen scraps into a couple lots and taking things out several times a day so they have fresh things to look at and scratch around throughout the day..... seems like it would be really boring shut up in a shed even with lots of fresh air and sunshine!

I'm also adding ACV to their water at the rate of a little more than a 1 TBSP per gallon, is that enough? I'm giving it to my two parrots in their water as well now, I'm hoping it may help my 35year old feather plucking previously abused african grey do a little better.... I was considering giving them a bit of the fermented feed as well, has anyone tried this? I don't think it can really hurt them. Right now they get a diet of sprouts, seeds, vegetables/fruit, nuts in the shells, and free choice pellets that they prefer to throw on the floor. But I figure it's impossible to have too many good bacteria in their guts!
idunno.gif

Forgive me if any of this has already been covered, I'm only on page 280....

Ok, so my feed has been "cooking" for almost a week now, and still no bubbles. It smells sour and slightly pickled, but I have to really get my nose in the bucket to even smell that. I started feeding it yesterday, because i figured even if it's just soaked it still should be better than dry, and my two are nuts over it. But I'm concerned that it's not really fermenting. I'm fermenting whole oats, and scratch, with some split peas and barley thrown in.

Also, I wanted to supplement with some flax seed. I know you don't sprout it because it gets so slimey when it soaks
sickbyc.gif
. should I throw it into the ferment bucket, or serve it as a top dressing with my ground eggshells and kelp meal?? Your FF will get a little slimy/snotty anyway, so I wouldn't be worried about a little extra slime in there. I've also fermented the egg shells with the rest of the feed no problemo, but haven't tried the kelp meal, though I'm pretty sure I've seen where others have tried with no problems. and should I grind it for the chickens like I would for other animals, or can they manage the seeds themselves in their crops (seeds are too hard for most animals to digest, but, unsure of that concerning chickens with the grit in their crops?).

also, as a completely new chicken owner, having trouble wrapping my head around how much to feed them... is it possible to feed them too much? From my limited experience and some reading, chickens are self regulating when it comes to food. Except for the meaties(CX), they tend to have leg problems if they eat too much too fast. they clean up what I give them twice a day (although not immediately), should I give them more until there's a little left? Is there a sort of "about x amount per chicken then adjust to suit current needs?" Currently they're not getting free range, they'll start that sunday. Plenty of fresh air and sunshine through the double doors on the shed during the day though. I give them all the fruit/veggie scraps from the kitchen, and some leftover bread/scraps of meat/cooking grease as well. I feel super sorry for them shut up, but I don't want them to run off and haven't had them quite a week yet! I've been splitting up their kitchen scraps into a couple lots and taking things out several times a day so they have fresh things to look at and scratch around throughout the day..... seems like it would be really boring shut up in a shed even with lots of fresh air and sunshine! Once I started mine free ranging, I cut their feed back a little so that the trough is empty for 1/2-3/4 of the day. If we ever get any rain to get the weeds/grass growing and the spring bugs arrive, I'll cut their feed even more.

I'm also adding ACV to their water at the rate of a little more than a 1 TBSP per gallon, is that enough? I'm giving it to my two parrots in their water as well now, I'm hoping it may help my 35year old feather plucking previously abused african grey do a little better.... I was considering giving them a bit of the fermented feed as well, has anyone tried this? I don't think it can really hurt them. Right now they get a diet of sprouts, seeds, vegetables/fruit, nuts in the shells, and free choice pellets that they prefer to throw on the floor. But I figure it's impossible to have too many good bacteria in their guts! Don't know about this one but you're probably right. People on here have fed FF to all sorts of birds: chickens, ducks, turkeys, quail, don't forget dogs, horses, cats, cattle, hogs...

Forgive me if any of this has already been covered, I'm only on page 280....

I guessed you missed this guy:
gig.gif
(he seems to be missing from where you quoted me)

I could argue the fact that a livestock guardian dog is not a "pet" yet eats "dog food".. but i think you missed this little guy
gig.gif
so I'm not sure you can see I was pointing out the humor in it...

basically it's just ironic to me.. some people have had their chickens allowed by HOAs because they convinced them they were "pets".. there is even the website "my pet chicken".. Others have pot belly pigs as "pets". or goats as "pets" and mini equines ARE considered "pets" yet they all still eat "feed". and in some places a "pet rat" or "pet snake" would be considered to be vermin... I have always thought it was funny that there are farm ANIMALS.. yet a PET by the definition of "food vs feed" isn't considered an "animal"...
and I can take corn labeled as "livestock feed" and grind it up to make corn tortillas or corn bread.. so does that make me livestock if I eat it?
lau.gif

and again.. I hope you can see the humor as I intend it...
gig.gif
lau.gif
(adding these guys for emphasis)
of course I can see the humor in it. I tried to cover both bases with my comments. I dont have pet chickens - i have livestock. Mine eat feed. Others I guess eat food.

of course I can see the humor in it. I tried to cover both bases with my comments. I dont have pet chickens - i have livestock. Mine eat feed. Others I guess eat food.
I have pet chickens that go to Freezer Camp and warm mah bellah!!

I give them feed; and, they feed me...works out nicely
gig.gif

I guessed you missed this guy:
gig.gif
(he seems to be missing from where you quoted me) I could argue the fact that a livestock guardian dog is not a "pet" yet eats "dog food".. but i think you missed this little guy
gig.gif
so I'm not sure you can see I was pointing out the humor in it... basically it's just ironic to me.. some people have had their chickens allowed by HOAs because they convinced them they were "pets".. there is even the website "my pet chicken".. Others have pot belly pigs as "pets". or goats as "pets" and mini equines ARE considered "pets" yet they all still eat "feed". and in some places a "pet rat" or "pet snake" would be considered to be vermin... I have always thought it was funny that there are farm ANIMALS.. yet a PET by the definition of "food vs feed" isn't considered an "animal"... and I can take corn labeled as "livestock feed" and grind it up to make corn tortillas or corn bread.. so does that make me livestock if I eat it?
lau.gif
and again.. I hope you can see the humor as I intend it...
gig.gif
lau.gif
(adding these guys for emphasis)
LOL!! Speaking of pets I have a mini potbelly, he eats hay, sheep/goat poop, old bread, and whatever else he wants. So is he both a human and a pet??? Lol!!

If you have a still you can distill the liquid and have moonshine. Basically you are making a mash.

i have to wonder if we are creating little feathered alcoholics.. my ducks an d geese now hunt me down for their fermented feed... they never did that with their food before...
AA for poultry?
gig.gif

Well....mine is coming up through limestone - so....I actually prefer the water straight from the well. I only like the softened water in my showers (hate, hate, hate trying to scrub the mineral build up off the walls). Never really gave it much thought as to which would have the best nutritional impact.

Mine is really bad.. when I was running salt water aquariums I had mine tested.. it was off the scale for mineral deposits.. even now the minerlas in it will eat through the metal in a kitchen faucet in one years time.. we get tired of replacing them
But our water even tastes "salty" .. not sure if that's from the limestone or something else in our aquifer

So I am in the middle of my first round of meat birds and the use of FF. while shooting a little video of a chick on the table after 1 week, she took a nice little poo. But the point is to see how different the poo is on FF....no smells or dirty butts.

Back
Top Bottom