Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Hey guys, new to the forum, and you convinced me to give FF a try with my meaties. What sold me was the research that stated that it helps control e-coli, salmonella, and campylobacter bacteria.

My birds are six-week-old color range broilers. I was expecting problems when I first introduced it four days ago, since they had always had dry feed before, and some have said it took a while before their birds adjusted. Well, these guys, never batted an eye, just dug right in and ate everything. The only thing I have noticed is that they now drink less water, and they don't seem as aggressive to each other. Water consumption is a real issue here as we are in central Texas and 100+ degree temps are the norm. We use the nipple water system and they always have water, but with wet feed, I just think they get more H20 than otherwise. They therefore seem less stressed in the heat. I used ACV as starter and am using crumbles for meat birds with some scratch mixed in for texture.

My contribution - For those of you with heat issues, we found that use of a shade cloth, on top of the tractor, really brings the temp down for the birds. I have seen it sold at Lowes in the garden center. (I got mine at an auction real cheap!) Mine is black (You would think it would make things hotter but it doesn't). It is supposed to block UV rays, and the birds are much happier since we placed it on top of the tractor.

Thanks for all the great info. This has been a great thread.

welcome-byc.gif
mammaducky1! Our forecast is calling for 106 F today and I'm so glad my meat birds were butchered Thursday!
lol.png
Great tip on the shade cloth!

Hey guys, new to the forum, and you convinced me to give FF a try with my meaties. What sold me was the research that stated that it helps control e-coli, salmonella, and campylobacter bacteria.

My birds are six-week-old color range broilers. I was expecting problems when I first introduced it four days ago, since they had always had dry feed before, and some have said it took a while before their birds adjusted. Well, these guys, never batted an eye, just dug right in and ate everything. The only thing I have noticed is that they now drink less water, and they don't seem as aggressive to each other. Water consumption is a real issue here as we are in central Texas and 100+ degree temps are the norm. We use the nipple water system and they always have water, but with wet feed, I just think they get more H20 than otherwise. They therefore seem less stressed in the heat. I used ACV as starter and am using crumbles for meat birds with some scratch mixed in for texture.

My contribution - For those of you with heat issues, we found that use of a shade cloth, on top of the tractor, really brings the temp down for the birds. I have seen it sold at Lowes in the garden center. (I got mine at an auction real cheap!) Mine is black (You would think it would make things hotter but it doesn't). It is supposed to block UV rays, and the birds are much happier since we placed it on top of the tractor.

Thanks for all the great info. This has been a great thread.

That's great feedback! Welcome to the forum, mama!

It's my gangs last night tonight and though I'm sad, I'm also eagerly waiting to see how they will turnout weight wise and if they see any health concerns at the processing plant. This is the first time that I've ever raised meat birds so I don't have anything to compare it with but they seem happy, healthy and very large to me. I started with 26, one died when our heat wave hit and I'm sending the rest of the 25 in tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to feedback from the meat inspector, and a little nervous. This time was a just a bit of a research project to see how I like it and if there need to be any modifications to our system. I fermented starter crumble and grower pellets with apple cider vinegar and fed them twice per day. If their weights are up to or above par this time then I will probably add whole grains or scratch into the feeding program of the next batch. Overall it's been a great experience!

One question though. How long should they rest in the fridge after processing before either being eaten or frozen?

@kelpieschick - we usually just rest ours in the fridge for 24 hours before freezing, and that seems to work fine. If we are processing some older stewing hens or roosters, then we try and leave them a bit longer, at least a couple of days before freezing.

I am also interested in how your chickens turn out weight-wise. How old are they?

Last edited:
So I have been tracking weights on my chicks (granted I have only had them since Friday!) and they are gaining at the exact same rate as my last batch currently. I finally have their feed titrated to the point that they are eating everything I give them and not wasting, fed twice a day. So, I did waste quite a bit the first few days. So far, I have probably gone through 1 lb/total per day for 25 head (of dry that has been fermented), and realistically they probably only needed half that amount. volume-wise, they seem to be eating the same amount, but I add about equal parts of water to soak, so essentially from my mediocre math I think they're eating half as much and gaining the same. I will weigh them again on Friday, I expect the CX's to be a little over 1lb by then, so we will see. I will process 6-8 as game hen size at 3 or 4 weeks depending on how big they get.

@kelpieschick - we usually just rest ours in the fridge for 24 hours before freezing, and that seems to work fine. If we are processing some older stewing hens or roosters, then we try and leave them a bit longer, at least a couple of days before freezing.

I am also interested in how your chickens turn out weight-wise. How old are they?
Thanks for the advice everyone! They are eight weeks old. For transporting them from the processing plant to home do you use a cooler with ice or just a cooler with no ice? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to do everything right. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone! They are eight weeks old. For transporting them from the processing plant to home do you use a cooler with ice or just a cooler with no ice? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to do everything right. :)

In this heat, use a cooler with ice. You don't want any major problems developing. All that hard work and feed bills would be out the window!

Thanks! It's 5:40 am here and we loaded them into their travelling crates and they are just chillin in my truck until it's time to leave. Went pretty smoothly. They know me well so I was only buffetted once. Not sure if the crates are small or the birds are large but putting seven of them in a crate seemed an awfully tight squeeze! Next time I'll get an extra crate so that they can stretch out a little.

Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom