Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I don't see messy poops on my chickens though one of my WRs with exceptionally fluffy butt feathers has a black piece stuck there that has been holding on for dear life for a couple of weeks. I think that the FF makes cecal type poops a little darker and gummier than they normally would be for some reason and this may be why we are seeing these showing up more on the hairs/feathers that are excessively fluffy around vents.

Silkies are just a different breed of cat and I would think they have a hard time keeping manure off that hair anyway but I have no experience with the breed.
tongue.png

Could be your feed mix is a might too soupy and they are ingesting more fluids in the eating process than they would normally ingest with just drinking their usual amount of water?

I have Cochins, and only two of them are having poopy streaks on their booties. I actually brought Smoke in the other day and soaked him in a water bath for a bit to get his rear cleaned, there was just too big of clumps to ignore. I'll end up bringing Boots in in the next few days, because hers is a little gross now too. The rest of them are fine, and my layers haven't had any problems. I've been working on keeping my FF thicker, and it seems to be helping. The longer the FF sits the thinner it gets, so I add a bit more dry feed on the third day, and that helps the fourth and possible fifth day stay thick.
I haven't had any of my chickens grow tired of the FF. I literally almost killed my Silky boy the other day, because in the madness he was shoved right under where I was about to set the FF bucket. This would have been awful, because it was the first day of that batch and had 6 scoops of food and like two gallons of water? It was heavy...and poor Sprite would have been a pancake.

The messy bum I think its just adjusting to the probotics, maybe? The first week or 2 i did notice some with mine. I also see it happening if my regular seed mix is sold out and i have to buy other grain/crumbles etc. I do know the chickens overall look, feel, and act a whole lot healthier since I started this. Its been been great for the geese, they are just beautiful and glossy. I have to watch my Muscovy drake, If i don't stop him i think he would blow his crop out hogging down the food! My little runt piglet Roxy has doubled her weight, i was sure i was going to lose her, she wasn't very strong when we took her ( a freebee). Now, I had to work on her pen, she SCALED a 54" fence
ep.gif
when i was walking out to feed her! (pigs climb? Wow, woulda never seen that coming) She has become a real charmer, and i spoil her too much, I think she is a dog in disguise
lau.gif
time for an electric fence i guess.

Today my flock had only one feeder with dry feed, I only have 2 heated dog bowls so until spring I guess i'll have to have at least 1 feeder with dry feed in it. I am putting out less dry and when it runs out they have to finish the ff. I don't get more dry for them like I use to, I am so pleased with the consistency of the ff now it is like thick crunchy peanut butter. not juicy like i was making it. Even my ducks and geese are eating it. The coop hasn't smelled rough in quiet a while and everyone looks real good. my lil bantam that had vent gleet looks awesome. I have never seen her with feathers on her back end and they are so thick and purdy. I am thrilled.

The messy bum I think its just adjusting to the probotics, maybe? The first week or 2 i did notice some with mine. I also see it happening if my regular seed mix is sold out and i have to buy other grain/crumbles etc. I do know the chickens overall look, feel, and act a whole lot healthier since I started this. Its been been great for the geese, they are just beautiful and glossy. I have to watch my Muscovy drake, If i don't stop him i think he would blow his crop out hogging down the food! My little runt piglet Roxy has doubled her weight, i was sure i was going to lose her, she wasn't very strong when we took her ( a freebee). Now, I had to work on her pen, she SCALED a 54" fence
ep.gif
when i was walking out to feed her! (pigs climb? Wow, woulda never seen that coming) She has become a real charmer, and i spoil her too much, I think she is a dog in disguise
lau.gif
time for an electric fence i guess.
I'd love to have seen her climbing a 54" fence. glad to hear she is doing so good.

I'd love to have seen her climbing a 54" fence. glad to hear she is doing so good.

Thanks. I almost fainted, I just stood there froze, watching! (Duhh) Then it sunk in, she was running to mommy squealing that little head off! Every bird but LilX Ran to their coop. I bent over and grabbed her, and realized, um, i can't lift her anymore! (Duhhh again).. So i had to put the bucket down and unlatch everything. By now, my other pig Bacon, the BIG one, is really ticked grunting and squealing too. HE expected to be fed first, and SHE gets to be out with Mom?!?!?
rant.gif
She was interrupting his evening dinner. As i got those 2 settled down, i heard my Dad laughing his head off. Glad I was able to brighten his day lol.

Today my flock had only one feeder with dry feed, I only have 2 heated dog bowls so until spring I guess i'll have to have at least 1 feeder with dry feed in it. I am putting out less dry and when it runs out they have to finish the ff. I don't get more dry for them like I use to, I am so pleased with the consistency of the ff now it is like thick crunchy peanut butter. not juicy like i was making it. Even my ducks and geese are eating it. The coop hasn't smelled rough in quiet a while and everyone looks real good. my lil bantam that had vent gleet looks awesome. I have never seen her with feathers on her back end and they are so thick and purdy. I am thrilled.

Oh, Miss Lydia, could you please get a pic of that lovely feathered back end to put into our before and after gallery? I've been wondering about that little chicken....
smile.png

Thanks. I almost fainted, I just stood there froze, watching! (Duhh) Then it sunk in, she was running to mommy squealing that little head off! Every bird but LilX Ran to their coop. I bent over and grabbed her, and realized, um, i can't lift her anymore! (Duhhh again).. So i had to put the bucket down and unlatch everything. By now, my other pig Bacon, the BIG one, is really ticked grunting and squealing too. HE expected to be fed first, and SHE gets to be out with Mom?!?!?
rant.gif
She was interrupting his evening dinner. As i got those 2 settled down, i heard my Dad laughing his head off. Glad I was able to brighten his day lol.
Makes it all worth while.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom