Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Excellent! I'll have to do some pricing at the feed store and see what they've got.

Spirulina is an algae with a ton of nutrition in it. I buy it in powder form, and it could be sprinkled on wet sprouts or fodder before feeding.

Here's some more info for anyone interested:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/spirulina-000327.htm

Quote:
Dietary Sources:

Spirulina is a microscopic algae that flourishes in warm climates and warm alkaline water. It is available dried and freeze-dried.
Available Forms:

Spirulina is available in pill or powder form, or as flakes. Most of the spirulina consumed in the United States is grown in a laboratory. There are many different spirulina species, only some of which are identified on labels of commercially available products. Spirulina maxima (cultivated in Mexico) and Spirulina platensis (cultivated in California) are the most popular.

wow that stuff sounds amazing! If I get some for my chickens, will they not only lay eggs but also clean their own coop???
celebrate.gif

ok ... did my first clean out of my 5 gal bucket system ... what is that white / beige pasty stuff on the bottom ? Do we save that stuff ? I put a couple scoops of it in the new starter ... I also went with 6 gal buckets ...much easier .

I have been skulking around this forum for a while now and wanting to give it a try but as per usual I have to research things to death before I put them into action. I started the beginning of October feeding them more whole foods and less pelleted feed. I have found suppliers to get 50lb bags of

Whole Corn
Wheat red and soft white
barley
oats
sunflower
wheat bran

so I will be using those grains for my fermented feed. I also like the idea of adding peas or lentils to the mix for more protein in case they need it. I also have other grains and bean seeds that I am sprouting as treats to supplement them since right now we are headed into winter and there is really no forage or bugs for them to eat.

I tried it out this week by going to my local health food store that sells bulk grains for people and I bought 1lb of each grain as well as peas and lentils. I put a scoop of each in my 5 gallon pail that is in my back room right now since temps outside are in the single digits. I started feeding it on Tuesday night to my layer hens and roos and so far this is what I have notices.

1. The hens go absolutely bonkers for it and will actually finish the feed before the next feeding time. This is beneficial in more than one way, because there is very little waste and also because my tree rat problem has decreased since there is no feed for them.

2. As stated by others the poo went almost solid, it resembles more of a cat poo than a chicken one and there is no smell at all. I think galanie posted it that he had hens grow their feathers back on the fermented feed and I noticed that as well. I had three hens that were perpetually in molt since August and their feathers have started growing back and are fluffy and glossy. I love it.

3. The feed expands so much in the bucket that I have to be careful how much I add to the bucket as it would be very easy to put too much in for the amount of liquid in the bucket. That said I am still working on the little amount that I bought from the health food store and still have almost 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket and going strong. I just add a scoop of each type of feed every other day or so and it smells wonderful and looks great.

4. I noticed that my egg production has bumped back up. 8 of my girls are older being almost 2 years old and on the standard layer feed they had been not doing so well. I lost 3 this summer to what I think might have been a nutrient deficiency problem and one to becoming prolapsed during laying while we were all at work. Since changing the feed I have noticed they just seem healthier. Egg shells are better formed and they all just genuinely seem happy and content if you know what I mean.

So far I couldn't be happier although I will keep supplementing with things that will give them things that they might be missing like fresh veggies or bugs. We will see how it goes from here.

Excellent! I'll have to do some pricing at the feed store and see what they've got.

Spirulina is an algae with a ton of nutrition in it. I buy it in powder form, and it could be sprinkled on wet sprouts or fodder before feeding.

Here's some more info for anyone interested:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/spirulina-000327.htm

I use it for my newborn tropical fish. Excellent food source! I bought a small bag from a health food website, want to find a bulk suppler tho.

So update on my crusty bucket. Lol
I scimmed off the mold and then mixed the liquid. It was the best smelling i have ever smelled it before.
I even put a little for my girls.and they started slurping it up. It smells like straight up beer.

I have a question: when feeding FF, do you supply more grit? Or does that mean that mine is too mushy if I think they should have grit with it? :) I have been sprinkling some on top of the FF when I feed it to them just in case.

I have a question: when feeding FF, do you supply more grit? Or does that mean that mine is too mushy if I think they should have grit with it? :) I have been sprinkling some on top of the FF when I feed it to them just in case.
Grit should always be offered free choice as should oyster. No need for forcing it by putting in feed they will take it when needed.

Back
Top Bottom