Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Feathers are mostly protein right? so it seems animal /veg protein would be good. mine get meal worms daily as their animal protein, through the winter months then when it warms up they'll have to find their own. I think I maybe feeding them too much though because last eve. a couple hens were standing outside their coop and a tiny mouse skittered by and it got their attention but they didn't even try to get it.
roll.png

th.gif

Does anybody know what foods are beneficial to say feather quality, or organ health, or energy etc etc etc?

I know BOSS is good for feather quality and energy because of the oils but are there other foods that anyone knows about?
Bacon grease or lard is good for feathering. I know some of the OT's pour this over their feed once a week or so. Pumpkin seeds, sunflower hearts, boss, milo, oats, almonds, alfalfa & granola....all good for them as well & what I used as ingredients for the suet cakes I made. Mumsy who is on here has a detailed list of what she uses and what it is good for.

I also add garlic & cayene pepper to some as natural dewormers.

My hens have not turned their beaks up at any yet.

Im the opposite I love Nikons. Love the clear crisp glass. That and I made a mistake and got a canon rebel as my first slr and Rebels are HORRIBLE. The higher end canons arent bad
You just must not know how to use it. I have the Rebel. It is awesome.

It's all about how you use it.

I've never tried a Nikon. Don't have to. I adore my canon. :D

Took me a while to get the hang of it though.

You just must not know how to use it. I have the Rebel. It is awesome.

It's all about how you use it.

I've never tried a Nikon. Don't have to. I adore my canon. :D

Took me a while to get the hang of it though.

Oh I know how to use both. The canon i got had horrible skills in high light. If I was outside with any kind of sun it just would take bad shots.I think mine was defective though. My friends took better shot when he lent it to me. But I always felt frustrated when using it compared to when using my nikon. The Nikon D200 I had took awesome photos. I just dont like the fact that it doesent get as much speed and low light and high light I had grain issues.

Heres some photos ive taken with both. sadly I dont have any chickens.

CANON Rebel XS

not taken by me but with the same camera. me with Henry

Nikon D200

I dont have my little cockatiel anymore. had a small flock and rehomed them to my friends house who has a room dedicated to them after we decided to concentrate on our snake breeding

I miss my little hermit crabs XD. They sadly died a few years back when we lost power

They both take great pictures its just I always find the nikon gave my crisper sharper photos and I didnt have to use photoshop so much to get a good photo. That and it had much better speed and did better in low light situations without giving me huge graining. That and I love how sharp and crisp nikon glass is

Last edited:
Oh I know how to use both. The canon i got had horrible skills in high light. If I was outside with any kind of sun it just would take bad shots.I think mine was defective though. My friends took better shot when he lent it to me. But I always felt frustrated when using it compared to when using my nikon. The Nikon D200 I had took awesome photos. I just dont like the fact that it doesent get as much speed and low light and high light I had grain issues.

Heres some photos ive taken with both. sadly I dont have any chickens.

CANON Rebel XS

They both take great pictures its just I always find the nikon gave my crisper sharper photos and I didnt have to use photoshop so much to get a good photo. That and it had much better speed and did better in low light situations without giving me huge graining. That and I love how sharp and crisp nikon glass is
Did you get a proper lens for the Canon Rebel? Mine is a T3 not an XS, so I can't relate to that part. I have the stabilizer lens and it's 55-250mm. It takes very crisp shots. BYC doesn't let me get to up close, but they are really crisp if you were to zoom in. Unfortunately it has maxed out my brand new Mac's hard drive. Too many MPs and too many pictures LOL. I'm going to have to get an external hard drive to back my pictures up on to.

Oh wait! my mom has the XS. I HATE IT. It's a terrible camera.

Moral of this topic: Don't get an XS. The T3 is SO much better.

Last edited:
Did you get a proper lens for the Canon Rebel? Mine is a T3 not an XS, so I can't relate to that part. I have the stabilizer lens and it's 55-250mm. It takes very crisp shots. BYC doesn't let me get to up close, but they are really crisp if you were to zoom in. Unfortunately it has maxed out my brand new Mac's hard drive. Too many MPs and too many pictures LOL. I'm going to have to get an external hard drive to back my pictures up on to.

Oh wait! my mom has the XS. I HATE IT. It's a terrible camera.

Moral of this topic: Don't get an XS. The T3 is SO much better.
The T3 is the ONLY rebel that isnt crap XD. Thats the thing. If you want a good entry level camera your best bet is in Nikon. Or pay a lot more and get a higher end canon. Most of the entry level Nikons are really decent even with the kit lens. though its better to get a new lens eventually. The canon photos I took were with a kit lens

The T3 is the ONLY rebel that isnt crap XD. Thats the thing. If you want a good entry level camera your best bet is in Nikon. Or pay a lot more and get a higher end canon. Most of the entry level Nikons are really decent even with the kit lens. though its better to get a new lens eventually. The canon photos I took were with a kit lens
Never had a Nikon, but I do hear they are great. I bought my camera from Staples, and went through my mom's business (discounts), and they don't carry Nikon, so it wasn't even a consideration at the time!

Anyway. Not sure how good Miss Lydia wants her camera to be. I would avoid any brand that doesn't specialize in cameras (like Sony).

Never had a Nikon, but I do hear they are great. I bought my camera from Staples, and went through my mom's business (discounts), and they don't carry Nikon, so it wasn't even a consideration at the time!

Anyway. Not sure how good Miss Lydia wants her camera to be. I would avoid any brand that doesn't specialize in cameras (like Sony).
deffinetly. Nikon and Canon are the best(Eccept for rebbels eccept for the T3 lol) Pentax is decent also from what ive been told.

I realize that some of these have been answered but I'll go ahead and chip another .02 into the pot. FYI, my mix is 1/2 pellets and 1/2 grain. I've only been fermenting for 4 months so I'm no expert, only my experiences talking here.
Anyone having problems with the holes in their ff buckets getting clogged? Mine isn't draining so good, I am wondering if it's the crumble and if it would make a difference if I used Pellets. Any advise?
I had this problem in one of my buckets. Solution was to drill larger holes. Mine were 1/8" to 3/16" holes. Can't remember for sure.
Quote: I end up with feed in the bottom of my bucket too. Every once in a while, when I'm not feeling lazy, I backslop by pouring the juice over the top of new feed, rinse the bottom bucket and pour that on top as well.
Okay I have a question, I drilled my holes larger today and added some new ones. put the ff back in added more feed and scratch added more warm water, now I don't want my ff to be mushy so I didn't add alot of water just enough to moisten the new f/g I added, not much has gone through the holes to the outer bucket, should there be alot of water there or is it okay for there not to be . in other words there is just a smidge of water in the bottom of the outer bucket and even if more drains out it won't be much. Do I have to add enough water so it will come into the holes into the ff? I'm confused, when watching aoxa video it looked like there was quite a bit of water in the bucket coming into the ff. I hope I haven't confused anyone else.
I have tried keeping my feed completely submerged in water and just poured the liquid off the top and fed the mush. I've recently reduced the amount of water I keep in there so that I can get rid of the drainage step.
My understanding is that when it is properly fermented it will not freeze (alcohol does not freeze was the reason given). I have not had my feed freeze. Our lows have been in the teens already. I may just be lucky, but the waterer not on a heater freezes, and the little feed at the bottom of the dish doesn't.
idunno.gif
That is my experience so far.
As for the water only being at the bottom of the bucket, that was a problem for me too. I added more water. I did not re-drill my drain bucket today. I am sticking with the strainer for now.
My question is how long does it take for the feed to drain for everyone? Someone just said half an hour. I have gone to about 20 minutes, given it a shake, and dumped it into their feed bowl. I thought I was alone in the time department.
I do not strain or drain. Just scoop and feed. Sometimes it's a little wetter, sometimes drier. The chickies don't mind either way and it's easy to adjust it on the fly. Does it seem too mushy, add a little feed. Too dry, add a little water. It doesn't take very long to get your system personalized so that there's very little work in it.
I read once that if it goes bad on day five. Does anyone have knowledge on whether or not that is true?
I have a cross beak chicken. FF solves the problem of her having problems eating. I need to trim her beak again, but I worry about her a lot less now that I know she is getting more food. with improved protein, and at least some water with it. The bad side is that she no longer comes to me for her needs, so I have to remember to pick her up, and feel for weight gain/loss.
Not true for me. We've gone on vacation and the only instructions I left for my inlaws for feeding was to feed the pre-portioned amounts that I already divied into buckets. It sat for 5 days with out being stirred no problem. I just started the same regimin I had always used. Didn't dump any FF or liquid.
Quote: I leave it until it's gone. Sometimes my 42 chickens will eat 2 gallons in one day without leaving a drop. The next day I'll put out a little over 2 gallons and half will be left. If more than half is left, I don't feed them anymore the next day and they can get the extra they need free ranging.
I was on vacation for couple weeks and came back to this. Is this normal? Its only the liquid part no feed since I decided to just go dry feed while I was gone. Should I start over or can I scrap this off or mix it into the liquid? The brown spot is what my liquid after draining looks like normally. Its the gray mold looking stuff I'm worried about.

There is nothing wrong with that IMO. With no funky smells, I would stir it back in. I've had a layer like that, though not as completely covered, that just got stirred into the mix.
ok ... did my first clean out of my 5 gal bucket system ... what is that white / beige pasty stuff on the bottom ? Do we save that stuff ? I put a couple scoops of it in the new starter ... I also went with 6 gal buckets ...much easier .
The white/beige stuff is feed and Mother. Reuse it in your next batch. I blast it loose with a water hose and pour it over the new feed.
Would it work OK to ferment just "Scratch" or just "Egg Pellets"? I've 57 birds and I've yet to find the level where my birds stop eating! They just can't seem to get enough. Right now I'm fermenting 4 parts Egg Pellets to 1 Part Alpha pellets & 1 part Scratch.

Even though they eat less this way, my feed bill is outrageous. Most of my chickens are under a year old. I also have 4 Turkey and one of them has started "squating" for me. I am getting a good amount of eggs daily. One of my 8mo old Black Silkies gave me a "first" egg yesterday.
It would work to do either by themselves. I ferment a mix of the two, no reason they wouldn't work seperate. I have 42 birds and 1-1/2 to 2 gallons per day is what they eat right now.

Back
Top Bottom