Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Okay so yesterday morning my first batch of FF was bubbling away. I fed some to the birds, they all ate it. I added more feed, ACV and water. This morning. Nothing. Not a bubble in sight.
hu.gif

Ideas?

I felt like I had too much water in it the first time so I didn't add as much but all feed was wet. I didn't empty the bucket nor use all of the first round of feed.

Okay so yesterday morning my first batch of FF was bubbling away. I fed some to the birds, they all ate it. I added more feed, ACV and water. This morning. Nothing. Not a bubble in sight.
hu.gif

Ideas?

I felt like I had too much water in it the first time so I didn't add as much but all feed was wet. I didn't empty the bucket nor use all of the first round of feed.
I keep my ff on the dry side I never see any bubbling but it's still ff. I keep 2 buckets going so the second bucket has a chance to sit a couple days before I use it.

Been a while since you've been here? I id drill my holes larger works much better.
thumbsup.gif
Yeah, harvest started before Christmas and some equipment problems made it last longer than it should have. Then, the holidays were just a bit hectic so I let my BYC reading slip. Just about all caught up now though.
wink.png

Does anyone know where the OT's conversations have gone since the OT thread is dead? I kow of the CSU thread, but they were having great conversations on breeding techniques, rotations, SOP, culling, and lots more. I'd really love to get back to reading their info.

Thanks,

Yeah, harvest started before Christmas and some equipment problems made it last longer than it should have. Then, the holidays were just a bit hectic so I let my BYC reading slip. Just about all caught up now though.
wink.png

Does anyone know where the OT's conversations have gone since the OT thread is dead? I kow of the CSU thread, but they were having great conversations on breeding techniques, rotations, SOP, culling, and lots more. I'd really love to get back to reading their info.

Thanks,

I believe it got shut down... don't know why. I think their new thread is about "Had chickens for 20+ years..."

Thanks,
barnie.gif
WAS THAT ENGLISH???? Just when I was priding myself on understanding the BYC lingo!!!

I don't really know for sure ..I read every scrap and post I see that relates to FF. Not just here, but mother earth news, anything i find on state ag websites...There's more argument to do it than the small amount that's not. but i do know they all look and act a lot healthier. I am spending a lot less for feed, probably 1/3rd. Been doing the FF for months now, and even my smallest guinea hen is thriving and just beautiful. Some of my flock were "give ups" that i sincerely had concern they would never improve. My stray barn cats look great, and my pug mix doesn't have skin problems & rashes anymore. My pigs just scarf it up as soon as the bucket is dumped! The only critters that aren't really interested are my alpaca, they were really attracted to the feed in the beginning, but are turning away from it now.
I don't remember where I read it at. The first post of this thread says
Quote by Beekissed:
"Fermenting your grains is supposed to increase your protein by 12%, increase the absorption of your feed nutrients"
unquote

So I looked a long time since this got to be a controversial subject and did find studies to support the 12% absorption. This also makes sense the chickens eat less feed. why? Because they absorb more from what is given. This includes vitamins and protein.
Just so you know I like the fermented feed I give it to mine with sweet 16 stirred in. I also feed fodder. Feed cost is down and the chickens look good.

Sorry about the grey background. Got stuck there and could not get rid of it.

wink.png

Thanks,
Try this one it is some from OT thread and some from road less traveled.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/729825/all-natural-herbal-remedies-and-recipes-for-chickens/60

Back
Top Bottom