Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Yup yours is prettier
sad.png
LOL. Disclaimer : mine is only a few days old... prettier with age?
smile.png
it does smell like sourdough!
Mine looks like this from the get-go. Must be my brand of feed. Our crumbles are golden too.

I am the only one in my family that actually *likes* the smell of the FF :p Everyone else complains!
Same here. Every morning before feeding I pull off the towel, put my face near the bucket and inhale deeply and then let out a nice satisfied, "AWWwww". When my family smell it they run to the other room with varying cries of, "EWwWwww!"

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
Same here. Every morning before feeding I pull off the towel, put my face near he bucket and inhale deeply and then let out a nice satisfied, "AWWwww". When my family smell it they run to the other room with varying cries of, "EWwWwww!"

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
My fiance is the same way. She came in my FF area for the chicks (which is under the basement stairs), stuck two kleenxes in her nose and fake teared up stating it was all too much.

gig.gif

I don't add fresh every day. I fill up a 2 gallon bucket of the feed mixture I use, add hot water and pour that into my FF bucket (a 5 gallon bucket) and stir. Each day, I take out what they're going to eat and stir until it gets down to the last 2 inches in the bucket, then I add more. Generally takes about 3 days.
just hot from the faucet? or do you boil it?
Welcome to the Fermenting Feed addiction. Your dogs are next. Their feed takes about two days.
I started a bucket for my dog, but the cold weather is slowing down the ferment. I haven't had any bubbling. I'm thinking of trying to add the hot water mentioned above, and more ACV....It's been soaking for over a week, and no bubbling. I moved the bucket from our cold garage to our green house, but still nothing. Trying the hot water today!!
I just added dried crumbled home grown Oregano, Ground Pumpkin seed, and shelless bird seed to my FF bucket for the adult flock.
does it have to be dried? I had thought of just picking some and sticking it straight into the FF bucket...

just hot from the faucet? or do you boil it?
I started a bucket for my dog, but the cold weather is slowing down the ferment. I haven't had any bubbling. I'm thinking of trying to add the hot water mentioned above, and more ACV....It's been soaking for over a week, and no bubbling. I moved the bucket from our cold garage to our green house, but still nothing. Trying the hot water today!!
does it have to be dried? I had thought of just picking some and sticking it straight into the FF bucket...
I add hot water from my faucet. Too hot and you kill the stuff that is percolating your ferment.

My FF sometimes bubbles and sometimes doesn't. I notice it bubbles more if my house is warmer and I let it sit longer covered with liquid before taking any out of it.

I used snipped up dried because it's winter here and the Oregano in the garden isn't growing yet. For the chick bucket of FF I used up a bottle of flake Oregano from my spice shelf. I watched my Bantam RIR and Silkie chicks especially search and pick out those little green bits this morning.

Alright guys. I'm getting ready to make a small container(Only have two chicks) of FF for when I get the chicks. What kind of grains can I mix in with the chick starter? non anacronymed please just to be sure I don't mistake anything. Like I have NO idea what BOSS is

Back
Top Bottom