Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Quote:
Around here that is called "scratch"

So I think in different parts of the country they call different things "mash"

The argument as to what exactly "mash" is has been going around for a while...
for example:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/134622/what-is-chicken-mash-and-its-purpose

when I was growing up we didn't have Layer "crumbles" or "pellets" where I lived.. (but probably available elsewhere)
In our town you could get "scratch" which was mixed whole grains with bits of broken grain added
"whole grain" was just as it states.. but only one type of grain per bag depending on what you asked for (corn, oats and so on)
Layer "Mash" was a powdered feed with calcium added

or you could get "chick grower" which was a "crumble" (not as powdery as the mash).. we didn't have a separate "starter" feed

I've ordered scratch and got what you describe but this is not the same at all. There's a lot more in it if you read my post above.

Well.. i was replying to Aoxa's post about mash being whole grains.. I can't tell what's in the feed you have

Quote:

for example:

when I was growing up we didn't have Layer "crumbles" or "pellets" where I lived.. (but probably available elsewhere)
In our town you could get "scratch" which was mixed whole grains with bits of broken grain added
"whole grain" was just as it states.. but only one type of grain per bag depending on what you asked for (corn, oats and so on)

or you could get "chick grower" which was a "crumble" (not as powdery as the mash).. we didn't have a separate "starter" feed

I've ordered scratch and got what you describe but this is not the same at all. There's a lot more in it if you read my post above.

Well.. i was replying to Aoxa's post about mash being whole grains.. I can't tell what's in the feed you have
Oh...you're so right ! Sorry.

Mash is this: The picture shown is : Starter, crumble (grower or layer) and than pellets. Mash is whole grains.
Where I'm from: Starter - is not a consistency but a protein content/recipe mix. Grower/layer - is not a consistency but a protein content/recipe mix. Pellets - is a consistency not a protein content/recipe mix. When people refer to a type of feed being "dusty" (which is why I posted the original photo) it is what is most often referred to as a "mash forumulation" where we are located. It is due to how the grains are ground and mixed. You can even google "mash feed" and you will see tons of photos showing exactly the consistency I posted. I really don't care what it's called...the reality is there are three types of feed. One is "dusty" (contains dust due to being processed "old fashioned" - apparently the level of grind varies depending on the area of the world/nation in which you reside) One is "crumbly" (doesn't look like much of anything nature provides) One is "pelleted" (the things it resembles in nature none of us would care to eat) So - call it what you will...they are all viable feeds. Yours is a mash - so is what I posted. Mash is a feed that is processed more in the original fashion. It is more raw. Yours happens to be less dusty than what I showed because it's not as fine a grind. However, because it is an "old fashioned", it does have dust, I can nearly guarantee. You're saying it's a layer feed, so I'm having to guess it's a less broken down mix of the same thing that a finer mash has. Regardless, a "dusty" feed is not a bad feed. It is what many refer to as mash and is completely viable...whether the mash is more whole than others - doesn't really matter. Just as a clarifier: mash (msh) n. 1. A fermentable starchy mixture from which alcohol or spirits can be distilled. 2. A mixture of ground grain and nutrients fed to livestock and fowl. 3. A soft pulpy mixture or mass. 4. Chiefly British Mashed potatoes. 5. A crushing or grinding. 6. Slang An infatuation or act of flirtation. How finely that mixture is ground will determine how dusty it is. Yours is obviously less finely ground than mine. Just to further clarify....Please see this link where you will find this:

Last edited:
Mash is formulated. It does look similar to scratch, but definitely is NOT scratch. Mash is the same nation wide. Purina calls this Mash.. as does many local co-ops. Purnina is all of North America, so I think it's generally accepted as mash.

Where I'm from:

Starter - is not a consistency but a protein content/recipe mix.
Grower/layer - is not a consistency but a protein content/recipe mix.
Pellets - is a consistency not a protein content/recipe mix.

When people refer to a type of feed being "dusty" (which is why I posted the original photo) it is what is most often referred to as a "mash forumulation" where we are located. It is due to how the grains are ground and mixed. You can even google "mash feed" and you will see tons of photos showing exactly the consistency I posted.

I really don't care what it's called...the reality is there are three types of feed.

One is "dusty" (contains dust due to being processed "old fashioned" - apparently the level of grind varies depending on the area of the world/nation in which you reside)
One is "crumbly" (doesn't look like much of anything nature provides)
One is "pelleted" (the things it resembles in nature none of us would care to eat)

So - call it what you will...they are all viable feeds.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you.

Mash, Crumble and Pellets are all a consistency. I mentioned grower/layer because those both come in crumbles. I mentioned starter because it's a finer consistency than crumble. Layer comes in pelleted, mashed or crumble here. Only layer comes in mash here, but in other places you can get grower in the mash form - which is less processed.

The reason I say anything at all was because of the misinformation posted here, I went out and bought 'mash' based on pictures when I first started. I wanted finer consistency for my bantams. Well when I got home with that Mash, it was not what you posted. It was whole grains. Big ol' grains. Not fine powdery mash like you are describing.

This is purina. Purina brand.

Even at the start of this thread, the OP used layer mash. Whole grains.

Quote:

for example:

Quote:
IF you go back and read my post I explained what we had available when I was growing up and what the feed mill called it.. I did not try to define what MASH is... only to say I think what is called MASH in one area is not what it's called in another area

also .. for the record.. OUR FEED MILL DID NOT SELL PURINA PRODUCTS.. neither did any of the feed stores within 50 miles of our home..

and my current feed store also DOES NOT SELL PURINA PRODUCTS

so your statement is a bit.. wrong.. "Mash is the same nation wide. Purnina is all of North America"

Mash is formulated. It does look similar to scratch, but definitely is NOT scratch. Mash is the same nation wide. Purina calls this Mash.. as does many local co-ops. Purnina is all of North America, so I think it's generally accepted as mash.

Aoxa! How nice to see you on here again! I had been thinking about you recently and wondering what had become of you. Now I've read the bottom of your posts and see you had a fire! I am so sorry. Were you able to save any of your birds? I don't know what all you had but I hope you were able to salvage some of them and that they were unscathed. I am planning to read your points on fire safety in just a few minutes.

Welcome back!

I have to think that this is a regional thing as well.

If you go into a feed store here and ask for layer mash you will get the pulverized stuff. No whole grains in it whatsoever.

I checked the Purina site and could not find any layer mash listed there either.

http://poultry.purinamills.com/OURPRODUCTS/Products/CompleteProductList/default.aspx

it has to be.. if I went in and set a scoop of that "purina mash" on the counter.. they would sell me a bag of scratch no questions asked

and if I ask specifically for "mash".. they ask me if I want crumbles or pellets (been there and done that already)
gig.gif

Last edited:
Aoxa! How nice to see you on here again! I had been thinking about you recently and wondering what had become of you. Now I've read the bottom of your posts and see you had a fire! I am so sorry. Were you able to save any of your birds? I don't know what all you had but I hope you were able to salvage some of them and that they were unscathed. I am planning to read your points on fire safety in just a few minutes.

Welcome back!

No I did not save a single bird. My dog also died in the fire. It is/was devastating. Hope you read something in my fire safety thread that will help you avoid such heartache.

I did however have 12 chicks in the basement, as well as one hen down there who had frost bite, so technically they are survivors. They were not in the barn during the blaze, but they are here and that is a blessing.

I'm over in the NCK thread and a few others. Hope to build my flock back up again. We have our barn plans ready (With a fermentation room no less!) I will share all that on the NCK thread. Pictures and all that good stuff. I'm really looking forward to the new barn. Looking forward keeps me from looking back!

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom