Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

The feed doesn't really go bad if you do a little maintenance on it. Stir the batch once or twice a day and feed as much or little as you want. A bittersweet smell is the normal, proper smell. Several have said it smells a bit like sourdough bread. If it starts smelling pungent and nasty, you'll know it's going bad. Add a large glob of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to help it get back on track.

The feed doesn't really go bad if you do a little maintenance on it.  Stir the batch once or twice a day and feed as much or little as you want.  A bittersweet smell is the normal, proper smell.  Several have said it smells a bit like sourdough bread.  If it starts smelling pungent and nasty, you'll know it's going bad.  Add a large glob of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to help it get back on track.

Thank you for this, Demosthine !! Sounds like I'm right on track !

Aloha, I have a white film forming on the top of the water.  Kind of like the ivory soap in a tub when we were kids.  Is that stuff okay?

mahalo, Puhi

Yep! That's the good bacteria. Means your ferment is working. Just stir it back and and feed it out.

Last edited:
Aloha, I have a white film forming on the top of the water.  Kind of like the ivory soap in a tub when we were kids.  Is that stuff okay?

mahalo, Puhi

It is fine, just stir it in use what uou need and feed and water it as needed. I have 2 half barrels going. I use about 1/3 of one a day. I use another 1/3 the next day and fill it back up with feed and water. No need to add a starter since there is still some in the barrel. Then I go to the other barrel and repeat. I stir once or twice a day. I was out of town for 3 days came home, stirred the barrels and fed. It is all good.

Started my fermented feed 2 days ago and fed what I think is the first of it today!

The adults and chicks went nuts for it! It was so funny they had it all over them. My mix is 2 parts feed (flock raiser) and 1 part scratch grains.

I can't wait to see how my girls end up and how it affects the younger birds growth/feathers.

I'm not going through that much food either and I'm feeding 38 chickens. I use about 50 pounds in a little over a week before I started fermenting and now it's less than that.
[/quote

Well....I don't know if my cornish cross were just pigs or what!? After processing we had a range of 3.5-7.25 lbs. there was only one 3.5 lb bird with therest being about 5.5-6 lbs.....they ate about 600 lbs of feed after I calculated.

Wow, that's not very good.
th.gif

I know!! Cost was about 10$ per bird:/....BUT, this was my first time. I ordered 40 more birds and I'm going to try fermenting from the beginning and only feeding twice per day. For awhile I was just filling feeders whenever they were low. OF COURSE they are going to keep eating! OY!

Back
Top Bottom