Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I saw you used castor oil for the legs and internals but don't remember what you dusted them with.

I dusted this group with Pyrethrin powder...brought out the big dogs for this group.
tongue.png
You can dust them with wood ashes and for no longer than you will be keeping them at your place, it oughta do the trick. Lime, sulfur powder, etc. can also do a temporary dusting to rid their bodies of the bugs. I'm setting up a dusting tub tomorrow with ashes and soil so they can dust themselves.

big_smile.png
Yes...same here and just did it. These birds will be in heaven as they didn't have any dry area to dust in where they were living before...a very shady, very muddy and moist pen...so I'm thinking it's been a long time since they dusted.

Quote:
You know when ever I have to do something potentially traumatic for my animals I just do it. Weather its Hoof trimming time for the goats or worming for the horse.... Or bath time for the dog. The drama comes from the restraint and the less cooing and talking done the better for the animal. Because they dont relate to these situations as people do. With them its fight or flight or resignation. I use a calm voice if I have to talk thats about it.... Or my Eh Eh Eh for the horse to make her stop doing what .... ever. LOL... my 2000 lb Reprobate...

But with this whole scenario its us that need to be cooed to and cajoled and poor babied to. I think we all know the times when we've had to carry a chicken by their feet. They simply hypnotize or go into a daze. Those cones help to control them and keep them feeling secure..... I read an article once about the way cows when squeezed in a chute prior to dispatch are waaayyy less stressed.

So if you take a look at the animal if you have to thank them thank them in your heart then do the deed as quickly as possible.... The latter will take practice i am sure.

BTW I am one who will keep every edible part including blood... I fed it I will eat it.... The parts I cant eat myself will become food for my carnivores.... LOL.

That would be the case of any animal I raised for food....

deb

Yep, I sure wish everyone here could be with me on a morning processing. It's like vespers...just business, calm deliberation and keeping things rolling. After you've done it so many times, you really love making the routine more streamlined, more peaceful and injecting as much serenity into it as possible. A dirty job is something best done with a steady mind and a peaceful demeanor...the animals seem to respond to it and I feel pretty good about it all too. We go into death together, much like we've lived with one another...just old friends taking care of the business of the day.

My chickens are NOT calm about being carried by the feet. They FLIP THEIR ***** over it... They will try desperately to fly away madly and scream like the dickens. Tried carrying the CX's this way to weigh them.... It was a bad idea.

My chickens are NOT calm about being carried by the feet. They FLIP THEIR ***** over it... They will try desperately to fly away madly and scream like the dickens. Tried carrying the CX's this way to weigh them.... It was a bad idea.

interesting... Everytime I have had to do it was breaking up a cock fight. Already alot of thumping and feather pulling and Kicking goingon.... The roo will usually struggle a little but but then Give up hang is arms and resign himself to his fate.... LOL. I put the anlkes between my fingers so not to squish their feet together...

sorry for the type os I am getting bleary eyed. Strange strange hours I keep.

deb

No, they are not calm at first...just wait a bit and all that stops and they hang quietly. It's really the quickest way to get them to relax when a bird isn't used to being handled. If I pluck a bird off the roost to examine her and she starts to make a fuss, trying to escape or flap, I can hang her down and all the fuss stops in a few. Then I can do about anything I want to the bird at that point, as long as she is upside down.

Back
Top Bottom