Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Quote:
Toss it, It looks to be a defective mix of plastic. I used to design injection molds... Yah Ihave had a few hats over the years. The way its stained is obviously the plastic. Was it all orange when you got it? Or did it have kind of a different color of orange at the bottom. If it is stained inside and out exactly the same something else is causing the problem not feed.

But I have a question.... Where are you hanging that bucket. I see a Thermo protective cover like say for a gas line? or water Pipe? Plastic will react to fumes of a chemical nature. I would drop a Carbon monoxide monitor in that area if I were you.... Just to be sure.

Were you the one whos chickens didnt like FF? It may be possible What ever is contributing to the stain is causing the food to be less than palatable.

deb

Toss it, It looks to be a defective mix of plastic. I used to design injection molds... Yah Ihave had a few hats over the years. The way its stained is obviously the plastic. Was it all orange when you got it? Or did it have kind of a different color of orange at the bottom. If it is stained inside and out exactly the same something else is causing the problem not feed.

But I have a question.... Where are you hanging that bucket. I see a Thermo protective cover like say for a gas line? or water Pipe? Plastic will react to fumes of a chemical nature. I would drop a Carbon monoxide monitor in that area if I were you.... Just to be sure.

Were you the one whos chickens didnt like FF? It may be possible What ever is contributing to the stain is causing the food to be less than palatable.

deb
Hey Deb.......no the bucket was the same color....new buckets from Home Depot....I have food grade ones now....started the fermenting tonight.....And no, what you are seeing is a return air run from the furnace......the buckets are hung in the basement...with fish meal, too hot in the summer (ferments too fast) and too cold in the winter...we have a run open to the basement for the tropical plants in the winter.....no fumes. And yes....they aren't exactly excited about it.....

Last edited:
Yeah, BF...that's a little scary and I think you are doing the right thing to toss that bucket system. You can see that mine hasn't even had the paint eaten off of it by the acids in the FF, so it must be a little more durable.

Could be why your birds don't like your mix..maybe you have some weird tastes coming off that bucket.

For what its worth Food grade comes in several different types of plastic. The best is HDPE High Density PolyEthelene. The best example for reference is the white plasice used for water barrels. It is somewhat translucent but can be colored with a wide variety of non reactive additives.

You will find HDPE used Widely in the food industry from food handling to processing....

the next are PETE, LDPE, PP, and PS... Ployethelene Terephthalate, Low Density PolyEthelene, Polypropelene, and Plystyrene, respecively.

the nmbers on the container stand for the plastic...

1 = PETE or PET
2 = HDPE
3 = PVC
4 = LDPE
5 = PP
6 = PS
7 = While food grade is a composite you will find that on Temporary one time use. its hard to recycle.

I know more than you all will ever want to know...

My injection mold work was with Polystyrenes and plastics used in Lead Acid Battery manufacture.

deb

Interesting infomation on the caponizing and cornish. I wonder if they would be worth caponizing if they are the newer slightly slower strain or not. Also they grow a bit slower on FF maybe it could make up difference for the birds also caponized? Just curious what the results might be + thinking less electricity to keep frozen is a win. What do you think?

For what its worth Food grade comes in several different types of plastic.  The best is HDPE  High Density PolyEthelene.  The best example for reference is the white plasice used for water barrels.  It is somewhat translucent but can be colored with a wide variety of non reactive additives.

You will find HDPE used Widely in the food industry from food handling to processing....

the next are PETE, LDPE, PP, and PS...  Ployethelene Terephthalate,  Low Density PolyEthelene, Polypropelene, and Plystyrene, respecively.  

1 = PETE or PET
2 = HDPE
3 = PVC
4 = LDPE
5 = PP
6 = PS 
7 = While food grade is a composite you will find that on Temporary one time use.  its hard to recycle.

My injection mold work was with Polystyrenes and plastics used in Lead Acid Battery manufacture.

deb

Hey Deb. So the numbers don't represent which is better, like 1 being best? Thanks a lot for the info. This will even help out in the kitchen.

Yeah, BF...that's a little scary and I think you are doing the right thing to toss that bucket system. You can see that mine hasn't even had the paint eaten off of it by the acids in the FF, so it must be a little more durable.

Could be why your birds don't like your mix..maybe you have some weird tastes coming off that bucket.
Oh Lord BF.....I only pray I haven't done anything to hurt them.......
hit.gif
Sorry, been running back and forth....cooking DH supper....I love all of you!

For what its worth Food grade comes in several different types of plastic. The best is HDPE High Density PolyEthelene. The best example for reference is the white plasice used for water barrels. It is somewhat translucent but can be colored with a wide variety of non reactive additives.

the next are PETE, LDPE, PP, and PS... Ployethelene Terephthalate, Low Density PolyEthelene, Polypropelene, and Plystyrene, respecively.

1 = PETE or PET
2 = HDPE
3 = PVC
4 = LDPE
5 = PP
6 = PS
7 = While food grade is a composite you will find that on Temporary one time use. its hard to recycle.

deb
Thanks Deb......gonna go check......I'm a little frazzled now...............wow, you do have a lot in your head.........

Back
Top Bottom