Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I usually keep chicks and mom in their own space for a week or so before integrating with the flock...the chicks are bigger and faster and not so easily injured. When I don't have a mama, integration time is still at 2 wks. They seem to be able to hold their own by that age.

Does anybody know how well rats can climb? Can they climb over 3' of hardware cloth? Do they usually attack grown chickens?

Does anybody know how well rats can climb? Can they climb over 3' of hardware cloth? Do they usually attack grown chickens?

Yes, they are very good climbers. I had a nice small pet rat once and a big cockatoo parrot (almost 2 pounds) landed on top of her cage. The rat leaped straight up 18 inches and grabbed hold of the cockatoo's toe in a flash. There was blood everywhere with the cockatoo struggling and almost shattering the windows with his screaming. The darn rat just wouldn't let go. I was shocked that the hunting instinct was so strong in a small well fed pet rat.

Yes, they are very good climbers. I had a nice small pet rat once and a big cockatoo parrot (almost 2 pounds) landed on top of her cage. The rat leaped straight up 18 inches and grabbed hold of the cockatoo's toe in a flash. There was blood everywhere with the cockatoo struggling and almost shattering the windows with his screaming. The darn rat just wouldn't let go. I was shocked that the hunting instinct was so strong in a small well fed pet rat.
Yeah they climb. I once lived in an old house on an estate, now this was a very small house(cottage) and it had a small galley kitchen. In this kitchen in the corner were 2 copper pipes going vertical. I had been there a while and really had not noticed them until I saw a mouse with her naked baby in her mouth climb that pipe. Now I have no problem with mice.... as long as they stay field mice, not house mice because house mice mess up my stuff. Copper tubing is quite smooth so I don't know how she did it. On a side note I had a harley with big loud mufflers (any other kind?) when I started it in the spring it backfired when I tried to start it and 2 or 3 "cannonballs" got shot out the lower one, turned out to be mice that made a nest in the pipe. What a rude awakening huh? They were a bit dazed but managed to leave the building. I'm pretty sure I laughed quite hard.

Walt

Thanks Walt. This is my first go at letting a broody hatch and raise chicks too. I was hoping that they could be raised with the flock but I guess not. I guess I better keep that run for the broody and chicks in the coop plans.

Yeah they climb. I once lived in an old house on an estate, now this was a very small house(cottage) and it had a small galley kitchen. In this kitchen in the corner were 2 copper pipes going vertical. I had been there a while and really had not noticed them until I saw a mouse with her naked baby in her mouth climb that pipe. Now I have no problem with mice.... as long as they stay field mice, not house mice because house mice mess up my stuff. Copper tubing is quite smooth so I don't know how she did it. On a side note I had a harley with big loud mufflers (any other kind?) when I started it in the spring it backfired when I tried to start it and 2 or 3 "cannonballs" got shot out the lower one, turned out to be mice that made a nest in the pipe. What a rude awakening huh? They were a bit dazed but managed to leave the building. I'm pretty sure I laughed quite hard.

Walt

Walt do you still ride?

Lisa :)

Not now, the bike had to go in '09, lost my job and things got tight soooo..... I'd love to get another, however there are a bunch of knuckleheads out there getting in accident (a lot of which are not their fault) and cars do not pay much attention to what they are doing, texting and on the phone etc. My wife thinks it's too dangerous, although she loved to ride as well.I swear, anything that is worthwhile and fun has reasons you can't do it. If money was no issue (yeah like that's gonna happen) I might be able to talk her into it. She had an accident last Feb. rolled my pickup on black ice so we need another vehicle first anyway.... sorry TMI.

Walt

Do any of you have legbars I think with fermented feed and being able to sex the automagically as day olds might make them really good choices for meat bird capons. What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom