Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I did that with my first batch in the 35g trash can. I figured...meh, 1/2 a bag of pellets, 1/2 a bag of wheat, 1/2 a bag of corn, 15gals of water and it'll be good.

BANHNHNHNHNH wrong. It took a while to get that cleaned up.

When unsure, start small.

Thanks for this. I finally decided to try mixing some FF tonight for the first time. And, I started small (or so I thought!)
The stuff's only been in the bucket about two hours and already it's tripled in size from the dry pellets! It hasn't even started bubbling yet! I don't even want to think about what a mess I'd have if I started out with a larger batch!

My first batch was in a gallon bucket in a shed. I snap half the lid on and leave the other half just sitting. So it can breathe but nothin falls in. Hubby doing chores saw the bucket of my ff feed wasn't closed. He has made alcohol in the past in Sealed containers, so fermented feed project sounded to him like making simple wines...he snapped the lid on the bucket closed thinking I left it open on accident.

In bed that night he tells me, "honey-i closed your feed bucket, you have to hear the snap sound to make sure its sealed...".I was already on my feet, grabbing my robe. Bubbling bucket of feed in closed container makes pressure I say running down the stairs.
I get out there and my gallon bucket of feed is gone. There was a splatter of mush and pieces of bucket lodged into the wood wall if the shed. Was less than 12 hours from seal it exploded.

I'm glad nobody (human or animal) was hurt, but that is so funny! hahaha That sounds like me, jumping out of bed and running for some reason or another! LOL At least you grabbed our robe - I'm sure I wouldn't! LOL I think we have invented "The Chicken Farmer Dirty Bomb"! That would be funny to video. hehehe

Depends on who is measuring, imho one flake is to much! We usually get a couple of snows, but they usually don't last more then a few days, if it was real bad maybe a week.
lau.gif
You make me laugh!!

Last edited:
Isn't it funny?  What some see as a horrible thing, others seem to see as a~albeit forced~ slowing down time, being together, enjoying simple things like conversation, board games, a good book or just silence.  What people used to do each winter anyway, before the age of technological advancement.  Me and my kids used to love getting snowed in..it always felt like a special time of being cut off from the world and it always felt more cozy and more intimate, a bonding time.  

This all sooooooo depends on WHO you are forced to bond with at those times! Been there and done that!

gig.gif
lau.gif

I know, living here in the mountains, I'm supposed to hate snow but I've always loved it..even when I have to get out and work in it, hands frozen and wet, feet without feeling any longer, face the same, I still love the way the air taste after a snow and I love seeing the stark trees against the white of the snow. I love seeing the houses lit up from within at twilight, with the lights from the windows falling out onto the snow and smoke drifting from chimneys.

I don't even mind driving in the snow, as I've always been pretty good at it and see it as a challenge of my driving skills. I'd probably feel differently about that if I lived in the burbs or the city, because the bane of winter driving is always the idiotic actions of those who can't drive in the snow and keep slamming on their brakes every two seconds. Can't stand that..those who cannot drive in the snow, should not attempt it.
rant.gif
If they live in an area that gets snow and they cannot drive in the snow, they need to work on that skill until they CAN drive in the snow...or move to where they don't have snow. Just my personal thoughts on it....
big_smile.png
I so totally agree with you Bee! All of the above and the quietness when there is a few inches of snow. I don't mind driving on snow at all. Now ice is another matter! And mind you, I don't want snow all winter. But a couple of snowstorms that lasts a few days then quickly melts, I don't mind.

I am perfectly content with snow and cold all winter. I enjoy winter outdoor activities like snowmobiling and ice fishing so I may be biased that way though. There is nothing like a good heavy snow coming down at night with everyone home. The whole world seems hushed and the twinkle of a million snowflakes is incredible.

Awwww...that's sad.
hugs.gif
I can just see you as a little girl, not wanting to go out and play in it. Do you get chilled easily? I can see where that would be very uncomfortable. I get overheated easily, so I'm just the opposite..I don't like to be where it's hot and humid. That just makes my spirit and everything else just MELT. I guess I was just born for the mountains, though I really loved when I went on a Caribbean Cruise...they seemed to have a constant breeze there that moved the humidity out.
Yes, I am very cold natured, I freeze all the time. Even in summer I carry my winter coat for inside air conditioned buildings. People think i am crazy having a coat when it is 110 outside.

This all sooooooo depends on WHO you are forced to bond with at those times! Been there and done that!
gig.gif
Yes..that could definitely be a factor.

I am perfectly content with snow and cold all winter. I enjoy winter outdoor activities like snowmobiling and ice fishing so I may be biased that way though. There is nothing like a good heavy snow coming down at night with everyone home. The whole world seems hushed and the twinkle of a million snowflakes is incredible.
YES! That...exactly! Simply breathtaking! Even the dogs get excited over a good snow and will practically dance over the fluff. You can see the doggy joy in every movement of their bodies! When the morning sun hits that blanket of diamonds my eyes can scarce take in the wonder of it all.

Here is the view off the porch of my last house right after an ice storm...it was simply spectacular!

My son and Jake, standing at the top of the field behind the house....waaaaaay down there you can see my little red chicken coop!

And our apple orchard, clothed in snow...with my swing and adirondack chairs sitting there patiently waiting for spring.

Hey, FF family! Got a new thread going that morphed from another thread into something a little fun....start at the beginning and read it. I imported all the posts from several people into the new thread so as to keep the continuity of the story. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-murder-mystery-of-epically-funny-proportions

Feel free to play along...make it funny and appropo to the story just to keep the theme..and be creative!
big_smile.png

A warm dew cover

A sparkling warm water (ocean or lake)

A warm, sparkling sandy beach

All things that spakle like millions of diamonds w/o any added pain.

Back
Top Bottom