Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

We are talking about RIRs..nothing more, nothing less. There are those bred for adherence to SOP or heritage traits and there are those bred by the hatchery for increased egg production..or production reds. Two very separate entities. I've only had hatchery stock RIRs and still find them an admirable animal but the difference between hatchery RIR and the birds I see on the Heritage Large Fowl thread are like distant cousins that share very little blood but still retain the same last name.

Well, I am a Whovian, Trekie, Anne McCaffery fan, and general syfy lover so maybe that is why I like the NN so much! lol

While our beloved NN may be from Alpha Centauri at least they don't come from an unnatural union between a chicken and a stuffed animal brought to life!!!!! lol lol lol

We are talking about RIRs..nothing more, nothing less. There are those bred for adherence to SOP or heritage traits and there are those bred by the hatchery for increased egg production..or production reds. Two very separate entities. I've only had hatchery stock RIRs and still find them an admirable animal but the difference between hatchery RIR and the birds I see on the Heritage Large Fowl thread are like distant cousins that share very little blood but still retain the same last name.
I do know that Cackle has brought in stock (of several breeds), including RIR's and Australorps from some of the more successful show breeders over the last 10 to 15 years..

Every breed needs an occasional 'shot' of hybrid vigor to keep from bottle-necking. My family has used two breeds (Turken and Australorp) for several decades with only two infusion of outside genes. By crossing the breeds, we have managed to almost keep the flock closed because as you know, it's easier to bring in undesirable traits than it is to get rid of them.

As I mentioned, I intend to cross some Austra-Whites (cock birds) this coming spring to my Turkens. I don't have any problems yet but I want to get ahead of the curve. If I were to cross the A-W's with the Australorps, it would lighten the eggs too much, even if they did help broaden the gene pool. My Turkens lay mostly rather dark eggs so introducing the off-white through them won't or I'm hoping will not have too much effect on egg color.

Most of us know that the color of an egg has nothing to do with it's quality but people in this part of the country will put up with a light tan egg but will very seriously balk at a white egg...Go figure.
hu.gif

I know I shouldn't do this...but I simply can NOT help myself!!!
rant.gif
There is a vast difference between a bird that can be truly considered a Heritage Breed and one that meets the Standard of Perfection.

As to say, a chicken can meet the SOP in nearly every way (NO Perfect Chickens) but still NOT be a eligible to truthfully be called a Heritage Breed.
tongue.gif
LOLOL

okay i settled it. i called oilvia at crackle hatchery. she told me yes they sell a heritage rhode island red.. when i asked what lines their stock came from she replies we have been breeding from 1936. humm. mr wilford kittle has been breeding reds since 1945 . he is 96.. lloyd flanagan is in his 70's and has been breeding 50 years. so you tell me what heritage crackle has. . hatcheries take a bunch of birds stick them in a warehouse and breed them out.. no culling is done for type ,fault and temperament. so really what your buying is a 2.00+ mish mosh of a red..
i will as i hate to do is take pictures of 2 lines of reds and post them.

as said i mean no harm. i just want too educate people.

rant.gif
There is a vast difference between a bird that can be truly considered a Heritage Breed and one that meets the Standard of Perfection.

As to say, a chicken can meet the SOP in nearly every way (NO Perfect Chickens) but still NOT be a eligible to truthfully be called a Heritage Breed.
tongue.gif
LOLOL
i agree.

this what i am going to do. i have all three. a production thode island red, flanagan reds aand kittle reds. now with all this out of the way. who is selling me naked necks and without castrating these orps how do i finish them off for flavor.

i forgot to add what i am going to do. i will take a picture with my phone

Last edited:
rant.gif

tongue.gif
LOLOL

That's what we've been sayin'!! I'm glad we're all on the same page now.
big_smile.png

Most of us know that the color of an egg has nothing to do with it's quality but people in this part of the country will put up with a light tan egg but will very seriously balk at a white egg...Go figure.
hu.gif
White eggs aren't "country" eggs in my neck of the woods......
hmm.png

this what i am going to do. i have all three. a production thode island red, flanagan reds aand kittle reds. now with all this out of the way. who is selling me naked necks and without castrating these orps how do i finish them off for flavor.
LOL...None of my birds leave here alive but I'm sure Kassaundra can help you find or point you in the direction of a good breeder of Turkens/NN. As for the Orps..totally out of my league. When they get too old to cut the mustard around here, they get fed right back into the flock.

A note about Turkens.. People breed these birds for myriad types and colors. It would be helpful to know if you want large fowl,...LF production or just what you plan with them. We have bred for production and still get some pretty colorful birds, but still breed with NO regard to color. Naturally, since we cross with Australorps on a regular basis, I suspect that about half of NN's are black or mostly black.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom