Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I am TOTALLY AMAZED! I just watched that video and that is definitely one I'll be keeping in the files! I don't think, for one moment, that I could whack the leg bone of any of these birds with a knife and have them break the way he did. Just sayin'. But, if I should get a bird from the store, it might be easier to do this to. I appreciate that link though so thank you very much. I'd like to roast these birds whole (like a turkey) and have them be nice and tender. Is it possible with year old birds?

I am TOTALLY AMAZED! I just watched that video and that is definitely one I'll be keeping in the files! I don't think, for one moment, that I could whack the leg bone of any of these birds with a knife and have them break the way he did. Just sayin'. But, if I should get a bird from the store, it might be easier to do this to. I appreciate that link though so thank you very much. I'd like to roast these birds whole (like a turkey) and have them be nice and tender. Is it possible with year old birds?

I'm not sure...with older birds you'd have to cook it for a longer time at lower temps. I've crock potted an older bird like that but never roasted one. Hey, that cracking the leg bone thingy really works! Even on the turkey. Don't you just love his accent?
love.gif
Of all the films on deboning I've seen on YT, I like his the best, though his chicken looks very mushy and easy to work with compared to any of my free ranged birds.

Deboning that turkey was a real hoot.....took a good bit of time but it comes out more juicy and tender because you don't have to cook it as long.

Did you have to pressure can it or anything like that?

Thanks Bee for the links.
Lacy, I didn't. I put my jars in the oven at 250 degrees, then strained the hot schmaltz into the jars and sealed them. The full one sealed almost immediately, but the other did not. So I used it. I did go head and put the sealed jar on the bottom shelf of my refrigerator in the very back to keep it fresh.

I'm not sure...with older birds you'd have to cook it for a longer time at lower temps. I've crock potted an older bird like that but never roasted one. Hey, that cracking the leg bone thingy really works! Even on the turkey. Don't you just love his accent?
love.gif
Of all the films on deboning I've seen on YT, I like his the best, though his chicken looks very mushy and easy to work with compared to any of my free ranged birds.

Deboning that turkey was a real hoot.....took a good bit of time but it comes out more juicy and tender because you don't have to cook it as long.

Oh my, yes!

And I'll definitely give this a try sometime. Thanks again.

Lacy, I didn't. I put my jars in the oven at 250 degrees, then strained the hot schmaltz into the jars and sealed them. The full one sealed almost immediately, but the other did not. So I used it. I did go head and put the sealed jar on the bottom shelf of my refrigerator in the very back to keep it fresh.
Thanks BC. Maybe I can do something with this. I have fat from 3 roosters!

If you cook a bird at a very low temperature for a very long time it should come out just fine. I cooked a pullet of about 11 months this way when she got killed by a hawk. 2.5lb bird, 250* for 3-4 hours. Very tasty. In general, bring the temp down to 250* and double the cook time (at least). I'll be doing the same with my next hen (killed the same day. :( ).

What I did with my first old bird (2 years) was I made Coq Au Vin. But this recipe is a pain in the rear to find one not meant for a modern fryer. I can't seem to find the recipe I used but I recall it had a large picture of a large, living roo on it as well as a story about the dispatching of the mean old rooster... A good recipe should list a cook time of at LEAST 6 hours. Good luck cooking!

If you cook a bird at a very low temperature for a very long time it should come out just fine. I cooked a pullet of about 11 months this way when she got killed by a hawk. 2.5lb bird, 250* for 3-4 hours. Very tasty. In general, bring the temp down to 250* and double the cook time (at least). I'll be doing the same with my next hen (killed the same day. :( ).

What I did with my first old bird (2 years) was I made Coq Au Vin. But this recipe is a pain in the rear to find one not meant for a modern fryer. I can't seem to find the recipe I used but I recall it had a large picture of a large, living roo on it as well as a story about the dispatching of the mean old rooster... A good recipe should list a cook time of at LEAST 6 hours. Good luck cooking!
back in the early seventies you could buy Stewing chickens in the grocery store pretty cheap. Mom would get one cut it up and throw it in the pressure cooker with veggies and water salt pepper and probably Garlic. She really wasnt a good cook but she had a couple of things that was pretty yummy. When it was done she would make dumplings and throw them on top to cook in the carry over heat.

Matter of fact same grocery stores then sold rabbit as well. That video of deboning the chicken made me flash back to those days. I was about fourteen and watching Graham Kerr on KPBS and he did a rabbit much the same as on the video except he didnt debone the legs. Mom let me buy a rabbit in the store and Slick as anything I deboned the rabbit. that recipe called for grinding my own meat for the stuffing and I did that too.... Stuffed trussed and roasted It came out Yummy.

I think I am going to do a small turkey this year. Boned and stuffed. That looks yummy Bee.

deb

Quote:Have you tried checking your local Craig's List free section for dirt? Mine always, and I do mean always, has huge amounts of it available, especially during the coming months where people are having pools built. You can find a lot of clean dirt that way. There is more manual labor involved, versus having it delivered, but if you watch carefully, you'll even find ones about once a week that will deliver up to ten miles or so from their location. I also find large amounts of horse manure for free, which makes for a great supplement when you are putting all that new dirt in. Mix it half-and-half, then lay it all down. You couldn't ask for a better way to get a green yard!

Back
Top Bottom