Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I've just started a bucket with chick starter, I'm exciting! My meat chickens are in the mail, should be arriving tomorrow morning. I have three mystery yellow chicks from TSC that they didn't know if they were Leghorns or Cornish, I'm just feeding them straight feed.

I need to go back and recheck the consistency the feed should be. I must be honest, I've been a little nervous about fermenting feed as we live in Louisiana and it can get quite hot.

I've just started a bucket with chick starter, I'm exciting! My meat chickens are in the mail, should be arriving tomorrow morning. I have three mystery yellow chicks from TSC that they didn't know if they were Leghorns or Cornish, I'm just feeding them straight feed.

I need to go back and recheck the consistency the feed should be. I must be honest, I've been a little nervous about fermenting feed as we live in Louisiana and it can get quite hot.

Those three mystery chicks will love the ff just as well as the others... and it will make them so much healthier to boot!
big_smile.png

Those three mystery chicks will love the ff just as well as the others... and it will make them so much healthier to boot!
big_smile.png

I have the three mystery chickens in with 5 other bantams right now. The 15 meat chicks are arriving tomorrow with 10 other standard chicks, so I was planning on having two separate brooders. It would certainly be easier feeding them all from the same bucket! It always kills me seeing the dry waste from the feeder than gets flicked everywhere.

I'm getting soft (or always have been...shhhh). About every evening when I go out to feed there is a leghorn pullet that sits on the roost and doesn't come down to eat with the rest. Nothing wrong with her, just sits by herself and watches. I've started taking the spoon and feeding her while she sits on the roost watching the others. I have named her "Mini Me" because she acts like, ah hum... ME. LOL

I'm getting soft (or always have been...shhhh). About every evening when I go out to feed there is a leghorn pullet that sits on the roost and doesn't come down to eat with the rest. Nothing wrong with her, just sits by herself and watches. I've started taking the spoon and feeding her while she sits on the roost watching the others. I have named her "Mini Me" because she acts like, ah hum... ME. LOL

gig.gif
Oh, but we need video of this....TW, spoon feeding her flock individually. And you make fun of my foo foo rooster....tsk.
lol.png
Hey..did I tell you he crowed once? I guess that one time was all he had in him...hasn't done it since.

gig.gif
Oh, but we need video of this....TW, spoon feeding her flock individually. And you make fun of my foo foo rooster....tsk.
lol.png
Hey..did I tell you he crowed once? I guess that one time was all he had in him...hasn't done it since.
Mine is the strong silent type too. I am tickled beyond belief, he does occasionally crow, but not often. When he does it is a deeper tone so not as annoying to the neighbors (hopefully)

Mine is the strong silent type too. I am tickled beyond belief, he does occasionally crow, but not often. When he does it is a deeper tone so not as annoying to the neighbors (hopefully)

I love a quiet rooster too. Toby was very quiet, as were the two roosters before him. Guess I have guys that don't feel the need to talk about it...just gets it done.

Is 'spent grain' ok to use for fermenting?
I am a beer brewer and usually just dump the spent grain out for my flock but am wondering if it would be better for them if I did the ACV process.

Back
Top Bottom