Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Walked in the coop this afternoon to find one of the meaty chicks on the roost....which is 4 1/2 ft. off the ground. All snuggled down for a little perch. They are just over 3 wks, I think. I'll have to look back to when I got them. They are foraging fools and filling up on the green and in the woods every day. Moochy little guys too....I was bent over tending to the chicks in the brooder when one jumped up on the hay bale next to me and then onto my back, walked up my back and stood on my shoulder. Just peeping like I was his mama...cute little boogers!

Unbelievable, mine are still scared and running from me.
lau.gif

It wouldn't take too much at all to have this whole set of meaties sleeping on my lap...if I were that sort of person, which I'm not. Never felt the need to have animals all over me to feel like I was loving them. Love comes in many forms and I find mutual respect to be one of those that I like the best.

It wouldn't take too much at all to have this whole set of meaties sleeping on my lap...if I were that sort of person, which I'm not. Never felt the need to have animals all over me to feel like I was loving them. Love comes in many forms and I find mutual respect to be one of those that I like the best.
x2. My Cornish are by far the most tame and friendly too, but alas, I surely know it is because I am the Gravy Train. It will be a burden gone to have them gone, hahaha.

I would use hardware cloth esp if you have predators around. When I made my hoop coop out of cattle panels I put field fencing over it then put hardware cloth around the bottom of it. Chicken wire can easily be broken or bent for predators to get in.

Here is what I used over the cattle panels http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/red-brand-woven-field-fence-39-in-h-104650299--1

And the hardware cloth: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/hardware-cloth-10-ft-x-24-in
The hardware cloth is expensive but I bought some from an estate sale then some at a reuse store super cheap. I always have my eye out for more cheap. It always comes in handy :)
THANK YOU! I sure wish I could find some like that/ I've even put the word out to a friend that stays at the thrift stores like me but haven't gotten any so far. I think I am going with the welded wire that is 2x4" holes on top of the cattle panels and then I also might do the hardware cloth at the bottom because I worry about snakes!

I agree! I love hardware cloth, but it is expensive. We just put up fence for pasture foraging for the chickens, and we had a galvanized tubular gate that we weren't using. We also had some fencing from TSC that I attached to the gate from the ground up with pieces of electric fence wire. We used the field fence you referenced for the fence itself with T-posts. We are going to stretch electric fence down low as well. Here is what we covered the gate with:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/non-climb-horse-fence-48-in-x-100-ft

We found it on sale last year for $89 I think it was. Of course the regular price was lower a year ago, as with most things.
thanx!!
big_smile.png

Walked in the coop this afternoon to find one of the meaty chicks on the roost....which is 4 1/2 ft. off the ground. All snuggled down for a little perch. They are just over 3 wks, I think. I'll have to look back to when I got them. They are foraging fools and filling up on the green and in the woods every day. Moochy little guys too....I was bent over tending to the chicks in the brooder when one jumped up on the hay bale next to me and then onto my back, walked up my back and stood on my shoulder. Just peeping like I was his mama...cute little boogers!
oh how cute! Bee don't you go getting close to those things! They'll be hard to slaughter when the time comes.
tongue.png

I agree! I love hardware cloth, but it is expensive. We just put up fence for pasture foraging for the chickens, and we had a galvanized tubular gate that we weren't using. We also had some fencing from TSC that I attached to the gate from the ground up with pieces of electric fence wire. We used the field fence you referenced for the fence itself with T-posts. We are going to stretch electric fence down low as well. Here is what we covered the gate with:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/non-climb-horse-fence-48-in-x-100-ft

We found it on sale last year for $89 I think it was. Of course the regular price was lower a year ago, as with most things.
I really really like that horse wire. Might need to check into that. I think I am going to have to have like 5 cattle panels for going around the gazebo and for the door as well. I've been pinching my pennies so I can get those and hubby can get started welding it.

Can you tell me what size holes are in it? Looks like really small because that welded wire I was referring to is like 2x4 holes in it.

Last edited:
I really really like that horse wire. Might need to check into that. I think I am going to have to have like 5 cattle panels for going around the gazebo and for the door as well. I've been pinching my pennies so I can get those and hubby can get started welding it.

Can you tell me what size holes are in it? Looks like really small because that welded wire I was referring to is like 2x4 holes in it.
I think it is 1 x 2, or thereabouts.

We got our 1x2 at tsc but it's in the back of the store, not outside with the bigger stuff. Our 1x1 welded wire we found at home Depot, much better price than tsc's 1x1 but they didn't carry 1x2

Back
Top Bottom