Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

He's not just a pretty face the man is a sweetheart as well! Yeah, me too. Wish you were closer. I'm down in central Texas. The black Soldier flies were doing their thing until it got rained on big time. It smells too bad to spread and I really don't want to be walking in it and be the one spreading it out.I don't think anyone would take it off my hands, seriously, because of the smell. The cans must weigh a 100 pounds. I can't move them. So I would lose my cans (industrial) if someone were to take them. delima! (sp) I think Home Depot sells some chemicals to put in one's compost to make it break down faster. Hopefully it mixes with water and pours into the cans. That would be too easy. I'll check it out though. Thanks y'all! (I don't really talk that way.) : )

Beverly, look on youtube reaganite71 has a video on drunken compost. How to do it fast with a can of beer, can of coke and 1 c ammonia. I made some and my pile shrunk 4 inches in 1 week. Seriously good tip.
love.gif

Beverly Evans: Your compost has gone rogue... or anaerobic. Basically too wet so it doesn't have a good amount of oxygen to feed the good bacteria. If you can get some air into it, add some more carbon matter, it will sweeten right up and heat up, start to cook and break down without any smell. Good luck.

Since letting my 7 week old chicks (combination of Pioneers and layers) out into a big run, their FF consumption has decreased by 30%. The "piranha fest" is now a polite visit to the feed bowls, without any of the frantic food fight behavior that they did before getting into their run!

I been a baaaaadddddd boy
rant.gif
did a rant and got a warning for "flaming" Gotta be politically correct at all times
sickbyc.gif
Ah well.... Hope y'all have started the weekend off well. I spent all day catching up on yard work while my in progress coops and lumber dried out a bit. Hope to be back on that again tomorrow and Monday.

Beverly Evans: Your compost has gone rogue... or anaerobic. Basically too wet so it doesn't have a good amount of oxygen to feed the good bacteria. If you can get some air into it, add some more carbon matter, it will sweeten right up and heat up, start to cook and break down without any smell. Good luck.
A solution! Thank you LG! I have a pole for taking wooden buildings apart that I can use to plunge holes down into the cans of wet poop and shavings. Now, what is high is carbon to put down those holes? Anything liquid, preferably? It's dumb but all I can think of is charcoal briquettes. : (

I been a baaaaadddddd boy
rant.gif
did a rant and got a warning for "flaming" Gotta be politically correct at all times
sickbyc.gif
Ah well.... Hope y'all have started the weekend off well. I spent all day catching up on yard work while my in progress coops and lumber dried out a bit. Hope to be back on that again tomorrow and Monday.
I know most everyone appreciated your "rant". Too bad somebody just didn't get it and felt the need to complain. Sorry about that! Who monitors us anyway?? Curious. : )

I know most everyone appreciated your "rant". Too bad somebody just didn't get it and felt the need to complain. Sorry about that! Who monitors us anyway?? Curious. : )

The fact that I got "reported" indicates that I may have hit a little close to a nerve with at least one person (who must have felt a little "guilty" perhaps?) There are a "team" of individuals who review reports (I guess), and decide if a response is warranted. Gotta be careful discussing this as well I guess, because discussing the rules and actions of the reviewers is ALSO against the rules. <sigh>

So I restarted my FF. Has been over a year! I was keeping it in my green house, but that got a hole and the dogs would break in and eat it, then poop all over the house
sickbyc.gif
. However, with my new set up there is the perfect place for it and secure from the dogs.

Yesterday I went and bought those Homer Buckets with lids from Home Depot. Not sure why I did not think of those before, MUCH sturdier than the little white trash cans I was using. Plus they have a handle which makes it easier to move them around. Mixed everything up yesterday evening. This morning it was already bubbling. I don't think it is totally fermenting yet, but went ahead and feed it to the chickens and they loved it.

So happy to be back on track again
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom