Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Wondering about something here and want your input on it.......This was posted on my FB page and I was wondering how I could incorporate it into my ff? Wouldn't need the probiotics but the other stuff seems like it would be good for the hens. I know someone on here awhile back told me how good the kelp was for their wattles and combs. I also wouldn't want to add the corn since there's ENOUGH already in the layer feed because I can see it in there all ground up. Could you add the rest of this to the fermented food or just ferment it altogether? just kinda wondering because I keep flaxseed meal all the time and can get the seeds pretty cheap and grind them myself. I also wouldn't want to put the DE in there either. But the other stuff I think would be healthy.

http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/07/new-and-improved-breakfast-of-champion.html

Last edited:
Not only leeks, but eggs too!  I don't remember where I got the recipie, so I'm going by memory here.  I do these in individual ramekins, but you could do it in one large casserol dish too.  I cut up two or three leeks (white part and a bit of the green part) and thinly slice a yellow onion.  I saute them with butter until they start to carmelize.  While this is happening I preheat the oven to about 375F and toast 4 pieces of white bread.. something tasty like Itallian or Sourdough and use the toast to line the bottom of 4 ramekins (again you could do one casserol instead).  When the onion/leek combination is ready, spoon it on top of the toast and form a little well in the center.  Into that well crack and egg.  Cover with a generous handfull of grated cheese.  Apple Smoked Cheddar is one of my favorites, but use what you like best.  Pop the ramekins into the oven and cook until the egg starts to firm up and then switch to the broiler for a minute or two to brown the top of the cheese.  

I've served this for brunch, but it does fine for dinner too.

In general you can use leeks the way you would onions in a soup or something like pot roast.

Thanks! This sounds really good, have to try it.

I
I am having a hard time finding the answer to my question so I apologize if this is already on here somewhere...

I am thinking of fermenting my feed, but not so keen on having that inside my house. Can you have your container outside? I live in texas so it's pretty warm, but was thinking of storing it in my RV hanger, which would be shaded and covered. Is that too warm? What is the ideal temperature?

Thanks everyone

I keep mine under the kitchen sink and don't smell it at all until I open the cabinet door and than only a little bit.

I like to use them in potato soup instead of onion.

Classic Vichyssoise. I had to look up spelling.
lau.gif

I am having a hard time finding the answer to my question so I apologize if this is already on here somewhere...

I am thinking of fermenting my feed, but not so keen on having that inside my house. Can you have your container outside? I live in texas so it's pretty warm, but was thinking of storing it in my RV hanger, which would be shaded and covered. Is that too warm? What is the ideal temperature?

Thanks everyone

Mine has been outside nearly 3 years in a large (33 gal) trash barrel, I move it into a sunny spot in the winter and shaded spot in the summer. It gets hot in the summer, freezes and thaws in the winter (some mild winters it hasn't frozen but this last one it did) it's like the energizer bunny it keeps on going.

Hear, hear!
clap.gif
I don't think anyone knows the upper and lower limits to fermentation of chicken feed just yet because so little studies have been done on it, so it's good to have experiences to draw from like Miss K's.

Hey Bee,
I know your birds free range and you are feeding fermented whole grains also. What would you guess the protein content is of the mixed grains you are feeding? (before any benefit from fermenting)
Thanks!

Phew, Just finished processing 25 cornish x, 9 weeks - kill, scald, pluck (Starpluck, friggin amazing machine), and gut. Nasty work, but now I've got lots of good meat. Now if I can just get an elk in October.

Our home scale wouldn't register the birds, gonna try another scale and get a post processing weight. I'm guessing live weight at 5-6lbs.

Fair amount of fat on the birds, good sized drumsticks.

Can't really say I'm in the mood for chicken right now though!

Phew, Just finished processing 25 cornish x, 9 weeks - kill, scald, pluck (Starpluck, friggin amazing machine), and gut. Nasty work, but now I've got lots of good meat. Now if I can just get an elk in October.

Our home scale wouldn't register the birds, gonna try another scale and get a post processing weight. I'm guessing live weight at 5-6lbs.

Fair amount of fat on the birds, good sized drumsticks.

Can't really say I'm in the mood for chicken right now though!

Good work!!! You got the job done. Fridge for 3 days and then freeze. I'd not be interested in chicken yet either.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom