Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

FF will definitely help keep your birds healthy. Good chance medicated feed wouldn't even be needed. But everybody has to make that decision for their self. I have had a cocci outbreak on my place so hatchery chicks that start out in the brooder I have fed one bag of medicated feed. After the chance to build up immunity they go on regular feed. So far so good.

One bag of dry medicated feed correct?

One bag of dry medicated feed correct?
No, I did ferment it. But yes, one bag. I try to time it so they are outside on the ground while they are still eating that bag. That way they are getting the protection from the medication while they are on the ground POSSIBLY being exposed to the cocci building up immunity to it. Also putting a clump of dirt from outside in your brooder will help them get headstart on building up immunities.

No, I did ferment it. But yes, one bag. I try to time it so they are outside on the ground while they are still eating that bag. That way they are getting the protection from the medication while they are on the ground POSSIBLY being exposed to the cocci building up immunity to it. Also putting a clump of dirt from outside in your brooder will help them get headstart on building up immunities.
Here is what I did with my babies:

I dug up a clump of grass near the chicken coop and put it in with the babies day 1. I couldn't believe how they would go and pick at all of that dirt. I figured if there was coccidiosis around, it would be there. By the time they left the brooder, the dirt/grass was almost gone. These guys are really healthy.

That's what I did with mine. They love picking and scratching around at it. They also get some grit from it to help their digestion. Cute chicks BCM!

I weighed my biggest CX roo a little bit ago. I was just using a bathroom scale (not even digital) so I just got a good idea. It weighed somewhere around 6 or 7 pounds.

...he is liable to be a guest for 4th of July.

Last edited:
Here is what I did with my babies:

I dug up a clump of grass near the chicken coop and put it in with the babies day 1. I couldn't believe how they would go and pick at all of that dirt. I figured if there was coccidiosis around, it would be there. By the time they left the brooder, the dirt/grass was almost gone. These guys are really healthy.
Very cute chicks! Love the idea of putting a clump of grass in with them!

Lisa :)

Last edited:
ok I'm feeling massively overwhelmed after reading pages here...

My daughter has about 30 cobb (CX crosses) for a 4H market chicken project. They are hungry little buggers so anything that extends my feed money is huge.

I am very interested in doing the FF, but I have some questions that if they were answered before I missed =(

1. I do not have access to a source of UP/ACV at this time. Is there a reason why I cannot use Pasturized ACV?

2. Could I simply use a sourdough starter as the basis of my FF? I make my own bread and have LOTS of yeast around the house.

3. The chicks (born 5.31.14) are eating starter mash. Will this complicate matters?

ok I'm feeling massively overwhelmed after reading pages here...

My daughter has about 30 cobb (CX crosses) for a 4H market chicken project. They are hungry little buggers so anything that extends my feed money is huge.

I am very interested in doing the FF, but I have some questions that if they were answered before I missed =(

1. I do not have access to a source of UP/ACV at this time. Is there a reason why I cannot use Pasturized ACV?

2. Could I simply use a sourdough starter as the basis of my FF? I make my own bread and have LOTS of yeast around the house.

3. The chicks (born 5.31.14) are eating starter mash. Will this complicate matters?
Don't feel overwhelmed. Once you get it started, it's easy.

Pasteurized ACV doesn't have the bacteria in it to begin the ferment.

Yeast can cause an alcohol fermentation, and what you want is a bacterial fermentation,....lactofermentation.

Plain yogurt or cultured butter milk that only contains milk bacteria and salt. You don't want it pasteurized You could also use the acidophilus milk if it says there are live cultures. Plain yogurt might be best if you can't find the buttermilk, especially in the summer, because the culture is mesophilic....it likes warmth. If you have some unpasteurized sauerkraut, that will work too.

As far as the chicks are concerned, there is no problem. Just get it really dry to start with, even if you have to use a little big of the dry to mix in before serving or top with dry food so it looks more familiar.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom