Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

People sure make a lot out of this fermented feed thing. Linda seems to be the expert around but seriously everyone just try it. It's not an exact science, figure out what works with your situation
hugs.gif

I buy a few cheap gallons of reg acv. One small bottle of acv w/mother and shake it up and divide contents into my gallons of regular. Then I sit them in the bottom of my pantry for 3 weeks. Tada! mother grows in the reg jugs.

Ok I think I reAd something about thus but can't find it. Can I add up acv to store bought acv and undo the pasteurization?

I have a couple questions about ff.
On layer mash: if I ferment it do I still keep adding water till it's covered? Seems like any layer or chick start would get Too wet.
And what are the best grains to do ?
I have scratch but it's just a treat. I want some nutritious grains to ferment

I have a couple questions about ff.
On layer mash: if I ferment it do I still keep adding water till it's covered? Seems like any layer or chick start would get Too wet.
And what are the best grains to do ?
I have scratch but it's just a treat. I want some nutritious grains to ferment
Hey chrissyr, welcome to the thread. Why not use a mixture of all? I use a couple of scoops of layer, a scoop of scratch and 1/2 scoop of Black oil sundflower seeds. Wheat works great, hulled oats (different from whole oats) is the best. Barley, milo. almost any kind. I keep the protein around 20% because they are not laying yet and I have other kinds. Whole corn works great. It's really what floats your boat.
frow.gif

Proteins in chick foods cheat sheet

Hey chrissyr,  welcome to the thread.   Why not use a mixture of all?   I use a  couple of scoops of layer,   a scoop of scratch and 1/2 scoop of Black oil sundflower seeds.     Wheat works great,   hulled oats (different from whole oats) is the best.    Barley, milo.   almost any kind.     I keep the protein around 20% because they are not laying yet and I have other kinds.    Whole corn works great.   It's really what floats your boat.    :frow

Proteins in chick foods cheat sheet

Thank you Linda :)
All the grains sound great!
I guess for the formulated layer or chick feeds I'm wondering about adding too much water. The pics of grain I can drain off, but any
Mash feeds would just get too soupy .
Is that a problem ?

Thank you Linda
smile.png

All the grains sound great!
I guess for the formulated layer or chick feeds I'm wondering about adding too much water. The pics of grain I can drain off, but any
Mash feeds would just get too soupy .
Is that a problem ?

Not at all. Just wait for about an hour or so and check. If need be, add more grains or feed. Think thick oatmeal.
thumbsup.gif

FF has been a total bust for me. The girls won't eat it at all. I've tried it many different ways and they're adamant about not eating it. But I'm curious, since scratch is basically candy, would fermenting it make it any better, health wise? Or would it still be like a "healthier" dessert? I may give up on fermenting the layer mash mix and just try scratch. Maybe with other grains and see if they prefer that. If it's not all that healthy, but they enjoy it, then it might just be a twice a week treat.

FF has been a total bust for me. The girls won't eat it at all. I've tried it many different ways and they're adamant about not eating it. But I'm curious, since scratch is basically candy, would fermenting it make it any better, health wise? Or would it still be like a "healthier" dessert? I may give up on fermenting the layer mash mix and just try scratch. Maybe with other grains and see if they prefer that. If it's not all that healthy, but they enjoy it, then it might just be a twice a week treat.

Why not add scratch to the layer mash. And add black oil sunflower seeds. Bump up the protein. It evens out the low protein of the scratch. I take out all dry feeds and I usually add 2 scoops of mash, 1 scoop scratch and 1/2 scoop of Boss. My girls can't get enough of it.
thumbsup.gif
If they don't want it, wait them out. They will eat it and then love it.

Why not add scratch to the layer mash.   And add black oil sunflower seeds.   Bump up the protein.  It evens out the low protein of the scratch.   I take out all dry feeds and I usually add  2 scoops of mash, 1 scoop scratch and 1/2 scoop of Boss.   My girls can't get enough of it.  :thumbsup    If they don't want it, wait them out.  They will eat it and then love it.   

That's pretty much the same mixture I've been using. I've tried adding oats and other things I've had around and they still won't budge. I took away their dry feed and I'm pretty sure they were trying to starve themselves. They just still won't eat it

That's pretty much the same mixture I've been using. I've tried adding oats and other things I've had around and they still won't budge. I took away their dry feed and I'm pretty sure they were trying to starve themselves. They just still won't eat it

Wait them out. I promise you they will eat it. You made it with ACV or just plain water and feed? 4 days stirring daily? It's ready, just keep going. You're bigger than they are. And they will always tell you their hungry. Mine do.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom