Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Thank you for everyone's input. I started my first batch in Friday night. I have to admit that I gave the girls a few small bowls of the feed the next morning. They snapped it up quickly. I then added just a bit more feed and water and BOSS to continue the process. I am not sure if that was wrong to do, but I think I might have stirred it to much. I am no longer getting that froth on top. It still smells like I think it should and still bubbles up, so I think the process is still going fine. I have resisted doing anything else but stir once a day since. So hard to wait!

I did start another jar of it without the BOSS and I won't touch it for 4 days. The amount of feed I put in the jars was 1 cup dry per Bird, so I think that should last 2 days. I have more room in my container, so I think I will add more the next go around. Here are my 2 jars. The left is what I started on Friday night and there other was from this morning. How is it looking?

Thanks again to everyone. I am so excited to try this!

Wendy

Went out this afternoon to start another 5 gallon bucket of FF. Then I realized that I sold 27 excess birds today and the 1/2 bucket will last me for days more. I have 10 left. Five very large lovely White Plymouth Rocks and 5 smaller assorted birds. Two of them are 10 days old. Soooooo, I won't be making it for several more days. Wonderful day.
wee.gif

Thank you for everyone's input. I started my first batch in Friday night. I have to admit that I gave the girls a few small bowls of the feed the next morning. They snapped it up quickly. I then added just a bit more feed and water and BOSS to continue the process. I am not sure if that was wrong to do, but I think I might have stirred it to much. I am no longer getting that froth on top. It still smells like I think it should and still bubbles up, so I think the process is still going fine. I have resisted doing anything else but stir once a day since. So hard to wait!

I did start another jar of it without the BOSS and I won't touch it for 4 days. The amount of feed I put in the jars was 1 cup dry per Bird, so I think that should last 2 days. I have more room in my container, so I think I will add more the next go around. Here are my 2 jars. The left is what I started on Friday night and there other was from this morning. How is it looking?

Wendy

They will actually eat less food when it's fermented. Mine get a 1/2 cup fermented feed per bird. At night. And they don't finish it since they spend all day roaming the yard in their electric fence.

Wendy
Looks good, but one comment... there's TOO MUCH WATER in that left one for sure (maybe the right one as well)... you do NOT need it completely covered with inches of water! Too much like work!

When you first mix it, it should be the consistency of runny/soupy oatmeal. As it absorbs the water and ferments it will thicken. After 3-4 days you just scoop it out and serve it... no straining, no draining. It will keep for longer than a week without adding new grain. When you have about one meal serving left, add fresh warm water, fresh grain/feed/mix/pellets/BOSS/whatever, give it a good stir to mix everything, set on the counter overnight covered with a dish towel (you WANT it to breath!), the next morning you'll be good to go :) No sweat, no strain and the birds will love you for it :)

PS. Once they've been on it for a week or so, you might find that their eating slows down a bit as they don't need as much to get what they need. They get more nutrition from a lesser amount of FF than from dry feed. Completely normal and saves you extra $$.

@fasschicks the extra water won't hurt anything, but those that ferment pellets, crumbles, etc, food that turns to mush find the thicker oatmeal consistency easier to deal with.

If it were me I would fill the container as full as it allows, that way you get more days feeding out before having to start another. You'll get a deeper ferment and less work.

I just started feeding FF to the girls yesterday. They ate everything I put out yesterday. Only put out 5 cups for 10 girls. Today they ate 8-9 cups. Does 8-9 cups seem like the right amount for 10 girls? They forage a little in the garden, but that is it.

I have backed down on the water in the FF so it is not so soupy.

Wendy

I just started feeding FF to the girls yesterday. They ate everything I put out yesterday. Only put out 5 cups for 10 girls. Today they ate 8-9 cups. Does 8-9 cups seem like the right amount for 10 girls? They forage a little in the garden, but that is it.

I have backed down on the water in the FF so it is not so soupy.

Wendy

Are they grown or chicks. Grown birds will eat that much to start with but slow down when their nutrients kick in. Usually 1/2 to 3/4 cup each.

Well, inspired by Beekissed and Shadowmane, I have launched into a The Great Feed Fermentation Experiment! I have only been doing it for two days now, but so far I can report the following:
1) my chickens are CRAZY for it. They cluster around the bowl and eat until it's all gone (which for free-rangers is amazing)
2) they don't come and beg at the kitchen door quite so much. I think they're getting full and staying full for longer.
3) we don't get ACV with the mother in South Africa. Beekissed said it would ferment fine without any 'starter', just a bit slower. But I thought I'd try a splash of my husband's beer that he's busy brewing up now. Talk about a magic bullet - a splash in each bucket and the mixture was bubbling in a few hours. Smells sour and beery like it's meant to.

I don't yet know how long the fermented feed will keep if I don't feed it all at once. I am also experimenting with buckets and ways to drain the 'soup' - couldn't find galvanized like Beekissed uses, and was too eager to get home and start, so didn't shop around. Various plastic buckets have been spanned in instead.

So, I will add my experiences as I go along.

Here are my precious girls enjoying their fermented fix!

Last edited:
Well, inspired by Beekissed and Shadowmane, I have launched into a The Great Feed Fermentation Experiment! I have only been doing it for two days now, but so far I can report the following:
1) my chickens are CRAZY for it. They cluster around the bowl and eat until it's all gone (which for free-rangers is amazing)
2) they don't come and beg at the kitchen door quite so much. I think they're getting full and staying full for longer.
3) we don't get ACV with the mother in South Africa. Beekissed said it would ferment fine without any 'starter', just a bit slower. But I thought I'd try a splash of my husband's beer that he's busy brewing up now. Talk about a magic bullet - a splash in each bucket and the mixture was bubbling in a few hours. Smells sour and beery like it's meant to.

I don't yet know howong the fermented feed will keep if I don't feed it all at once. I am also experimenting with buckets and ways to drain the 'soup' - couldn't find galvanized like Beekissed uses, and was too eager to get home and start, so didn't shop around. Various plastic buckets have been spanned in instead.

So, I will add my experiences as I go along.

Here are my precious girls enjoying their fermented fix!
welcome-byc.gif
Great to have you Meck, We love fermented feed. I discovered this site my very first day and just love it. Beekissed changed her way of doing things a bit. She only uses one bucket and fills it half way with water and starts adding grains and feed. Whatever you have available. I use a lot of rice bran because it is very good for them and along with a selenium tablet will help out immensely. If you can't get the vitamin selenium don't worry. Just grain and water is all that's needed. Get it to the consistancy of thick oatmeal and cover loosly with a lid. Let site for 3 day stirring daily and start feeding out. When it gets to about 2" from the bottom, add water and stir and remake it again. It's ready overnight threre after. White film on top is good, stir it in and feed out. Keep in touch with how you are doing. We love new people to talk about our favorite thing.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom