Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Does anybody ferment grains (not processed feed) for their chicks?
I'm looking to confirm my current recipe as I'm starting to lose chicks and just want to ensure it's not their feed. I doubt it, because they are 4 weeks old now but just want to get opinions on my mix.

I currently ferment a grain and seed mix, then mash it with a blender. I have been starting to slowly include un-mashed grain into the mash and somebody pointed out to me last night that I should supply grit with it, which my chicks haven't had access to since Christmas when I removed their sand tray but hadn't returned it (not realising grit was needed so young).

My mix is based on multiple recipes I found on various sites and threads online and is as follows:
3 parts wheat
1 part oats
1/2 - 1 part barley
1 part split peas and green lentils mix
2 parts black sunflower seeds
1 part millet
1 part sesame seeds
1/2 part flax

The chicks are also fed Greek natural yoghurt two to three times a week, fresh herbs every day, live crickets and grasshoppers as we find them in the yard.
Garlic water once or twice a week, raw ACV is also added to their water every few days.

I will post this in the other fermented feed thread too, in hopes that somebody who does ferment grain for chicks will see it and have an answer for me :)

Thanks for any help or advice you may have to share.

Edited to add: I have Australorps and Barnevelders.

Last edited:
I do layer mash ground fresh at the local mill and it's a rough cut, so whole grains still evident in the mix. My chicks do really well on it and no problems. For the first couple of weeks they may get some chick starter mixed in with it but then they are pretty much on what the flock eats.

I would second the grit need. From what I understand, there is grit included in the formulation of most feeds and especially chick feed, but once you start giving the chicks anything but that (grains/crickets/etc.), you have to provide grit for therm. You mentioned a sand tray... What I did was similar... I scooped up sand/pea stone and smaller from the edge of my driveway & my back yard and put it in with them. Aside from them "bathing" in it, they also snacked on what they needed. I don't use chemicals anywhere near my driveway, or in my yard, just so you know
smile.png

I'm slowly reading this tread (on page 80, about post 800), and started fermenting almost immediately after starting my read. I am anxious to continue hearing what's going on and how things are going. I don't have meat birds as yet, and so far don't intend of getting any for that purpose. I currently have over 60 mixed breed chickens of which most where born around May of 2014.

I'm fermenting in a 60 gal rubbermaid tub, using Scratch and Peck, Organic, Soy and Corn free Layer feed. I am feeding about 2.5 gal pail of FF along with about 10-30 pounds of barley fodder and chicken scraps each day. I have been sprouting some Scratch and Peck 3 grain scratch food and some BOSS for them as well. They have MICRONA 6x10 Grit Calcium Carbonate and Organic Alfalfa pellets available.

I'm in Minnesota north of Minneapolis and therefore it's cold up here. I am fermenting in my garage where I am also raising my fodder so I am trying to keep the area about 50 degrees..

Thank you for all the information I have gleaned so far from this thread. I want to look into more on fermenting and maybe be able to get away from so much grain based food and much more cheaper. A local chicken raiser has been fermenting her yard waste, and has rarely needed to purchase food. She has used road kill for some protein sources. I've ordered some recommended books she suggested and I am interested in hearing about anyone elses experiences and tips.

I am getting my first batch of chicks (layers) in early April. I am not sure if I can start them right outside as I still need to build the new chick/brooder coop. I would like to start them off with FF. I have been feeding my adult layers FF since September and they are doing great on it. Our winter has been so mild that they eat almost all FF throughout the day without it freezing most of the time.

I don't have a lot of time to read through this super long post, but would like to hear from a few of you how things go the first week introducing chicks to FF. I assume that I should only offer FF, not additional dry grains, right? Do the chicks need to be shown how to eat it? I know the FF method will get needed water into them also. I assume just a regular chick starter is the way to go and then move onto grower as needed. I hear people talking about medicated feed and there are pros and cons to it. I thought I could offer my young chicks some of the finer sand from the current run which will help immunize the chicks also. They are getting vaccinated against Merek's, but not cocci.

Any suggestions would be helpful. With this being my first time raising chicks, I feel like a fish out of water. Thanks!

Wendy

Quote:
Wow, sounds like you have it going on. Kudos. I wondered how much 60 layers would eat? I have the same plans for fermenting in a big trash can. Right now I have about 14 various age birds and 40 pullet chicks coming next month. I've been fermenting in a 5 gallon bucket and it is sufficient right now. It's gonna take you forever to read all this. On personal experience I read the 1st 500 pages and then switched to 1000. Then completed it. BUT I've been on here for over a year and read a LOT. I'd mark your p 80 and the switch to page 1000 or even p 1500. Bring yourself up to date and THEN go back later and get the rest. I bookmarked every 100 pages or so, (to remember) You get more out of it when you are current and reading up to date posts daily. We've all kind of been lapsing on the thread because of slowing down for winter, but the info is here and the interest of fermenting is here. I'm looking for some very healthy, productive birds this year. My banner year I hope. The Blosl and XW White Plymouth Rocks are separated into pens. One Blosl pair and one XW trio. Hatching everything I can get my hands on (when the slackers start laying. ha). I'm also getting eggs from Pam in La for the best crested cream legbars. Gonna give my customers blue eggs too. As well as selling chicks later. Exciting time in my life. Just a quick question, you said that a local chicken raise has been fermenting her yard waste. Would that be comfrey or dandelion greens?. I know that I'm going to be putting out several mulberry bushes this year. The fruit is great but the leaves can be dried and added to the ferment. Up to 30 % protein. I have an old mulberry tree that gave me a few leaves last year but NO fruit. The comfrey plants can be bought from Coe comfrey. Not cheap but they also have up to 30% protein and the leaves can be cropped up to 8 times a year in my warm climate. NW La. I bought some last year and was not knowledgeable enough to plant them correctly and they died. This year I'm putting them in large gro bags. They need lots of manure or nitrogen.

Quote:
I wrote you this LONG answer to your question, and my computer ate it. :D I'll try again. Just get on here and start talking and asking questions. If you can read the last 100 pages it would help a lot. Go back LATER when you have time and read from about page 1500 on . There is an immense amount of information on this thread. Impressive. I owe it all to BeeKissed. Smart, savvy lady. I don't use medicated feed. I don't vaccinate. Why? Because if I get my birds vaccinated for Maraks any new babies I hatch or chicks I buy MUST be vaccinated or they tend to get it. FACT. Medicated feed is usually used for big hatcheries and we don't need it.. Especially with using fermented feed. I put down a big bowl of course sand and run or garden dirt and let the babies play. Jump off it and run. It's a natural Cocci resistant. Yes, I'm a con. :D I'll try to be on daily when I get my computer fixed next week. PITA.

I love this forum!

I have learned so much! I am furiously taking notes so I don't forget all the good ideas you all have had. I'm very happy to be able to read about 'tried and true' methods instead of what a book tells me to do. And to have a place to ask questions!

Thank you all for being there for those for those of us who are beginner chicken keepers!

I am getting my first batch of chicks (layers) in early April. I am not sure if I can start them right outside as I still need to build the new chick/brooder coop. I would like to start them off with FF. I have been feeding my adult layers FF since September and they are doing great on it. Our winter has been so mild that they eat almost all FF throughout the day without it freezing most of the time.

I don't have a lot of time to read through this super long post, but would like to hear from a few of you how things go the first week introducing chicks to FF. I assume that I should only offer FF, not additional dry grains, right? Do the chicks need to be shown how to eat it? I know the FF method will get needed water into them also. I assume just a regular chick starter is the way to go and then move onto grower as needed. I hear people talking about medicated feed and there are pros and cons to it. I thought I could offer my young chicks some of the finer sand from the current run which will help immunize the chicks also. They are getting vaccinated against Merek's, but not cocci.

Any suggestions would be helpful. With this being my first time raising chicks, I feel like a fish out of water. Thanks!

Wendy

Greetings Wendy! Since you're already using FF, this will be really easy. Just use fermented chick starter right from day one; medicated or not as you prefer/wish. Do NOT add grains for new chicks until at least/about week 3 and there will be no need for grit until you DO start adding grains. You shouldn't need to show them as they will be naturally inquisitive and I would bet within 15 minutes of you placing it in with them, at least one if not several will be on it checking it out. After that it's just a game of follow the leader(s) and the rest will catch on with little effort. I had 30+ chicks in a melon box with pine chips and fed the whole lot of them from day 1 with FF in a glass pie plate.

You'd have thought it was a chicken mosh pit with them all fighting to stand in the middle of it to eat with planetary chicks orbiting around the outside sticking their little heads in anywhere they could find a gap
lau.gif
Then there were always the jumpers that would leap right up onto the center of the pile and hope to fall through where they would be in the center eating. By the time they were 3 weeks I was adding some grains to the FF and they still had to be fed multiple times a day. They were cleaning the plate every time I put it in with them.

Good luck with your chicks! They are a blast to raise
love.gif

Last edited:
One thing to add...new chicks are still living off their yolks for up to 3 days after hatch and may not dig into any kind of feed right away if it's in that time period but they will slowly grow to a hunger as their body signals a need and then you'll see them like sharks in a feeding frenzy.

Back
Top Bottom