Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I feed fermented feed from day one. I used a little dry finely ground feed / peanut mixture to sprinkle around the first day or two. Once they figure out the FF they eat like little pigs! This batch is ready for a larger brooder. There are 23 Buckeyes, 14 Bresse, 4 Bantam Choc Orp, and 5 Silkies. I love hatching out new baby chicks.

AWEEEEEEE

Curious about something...... Has anyone found worms in their chickens or their chickens poo since they started fermenting their food?

Also got another question....... I have mega memory problems right now so I can't remember if this could happen or not.

Once you put their fermented food in their pans if it sits there in the pan un-eaten, can it get bacteria in it? Doesn't it just keep getting deeper fermented?

Last edited:
AWEEEEEEE

Curious about something...... Has anyone found worms in their chickens or their chickens poo since they started fermenting their food?

Also got another question....... I have mega memory problems right now so I can't remember if this could happen or not.

Once you put their fermented food in their pans if it sits there in the pan un-eaten, can it get bacteria in it? Doesn't it just keep getting deeper fermented?
Chickens can have both round and tape worms no matter what they are eating.

Most of the time if my birds have feed left over it just dries out. I would think it would have to stay pretty wet to either continue fermenting or grow bacteria. Of course my relative humidity here is only about 10%

OK so now what they are saying don't let the food ferment past 5 days???? Then I would be wasting so much food because on one post it tells us to just add more food as you get low so you don't have to wait 3-4 days for the fermentation? Now I am so confused.

Last edited:
OK so now what they are saying don't let the food ferment past 5 days????  Then I would be wasting so much food because on one post it tells us to just add more food as you get low so you don't have to wait 3-4 days for the fermentation?  Now I am so confused.

Five days is probably a little short but if you want to do a 5 day ferment: you get about 5 days worth of food mixed up with or without ACV. Then keep loosely covered and stir a couple of times a day for about 3 days. Once it starts to smell fermented, start feeding. After the evening feeding that you still have a feedings worth left for the next day, add water and stir, then add feed and stir.(enough for 5 more days). Since there is the good bacteria left in the already fermented food it ferments the next batch overnight. I only do 2-3 days worth at a time. Not sure how many would be optimal.

Not sure if i am doing anything wrong but my hens do not eat the FF much. That is why i stopped feeding it to them last fall but thought i would try again.

Not sure if i am doing anything wrong but my hens do not eat the FF much.  That is why i stopped feeding it to them last fall but thought i would try again. 

They never want to try new and strange readily but take away the dry and they will eat it and soon love it. I started it 11 months ago and that is all mine get except for kitchen discards. They jump in my bowl when I'm trying to dish it out and eat off the spatula or spoon what sticks.

Back
Top Bottom