Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Hi Jacqdiva! What do you mix in your feed? And may I ask, what is pollard?

Here is some info on pollard. What were you asking about mixing? Didn't quite understand that.
1f60a.png

I havent been on this thread in a while. I stopped feeding them the fermented food a couple of months ago because ducks are mind blowingly messy creatures. More of the feed ended up in the bottom of the water buckets than in their bellies so it was just not cost effective feeding. I went to feeding them pellets.
BUT I wanted to share this tid bit of info. My duck that was on fermented feed from 4-6 weeks of age or started laying eggs at 16 weeks. the rest of the flock had it from the get-go (they are 4 weeks younger) but I quit when they were about 11 weeks old- give or take. Only one of the rest of the flock has started laying and they are now 20 weeks old.
Coincidence? Maybe. I would need a more controlled, long- term test Im not going to do. I read somewhere that someone said their cousins friends sister- in law had a neighbour that got the same results. (that was a joke) But seriously, in the research I was doing months ago, this one one point that was brought up as a possible outcome of feeding fermented feed. Anyone here have similar experiences?
So its not just for dinner anymore (providing great meat birds)
But for Breakfast too ;-)

Fermented feed and geese-
I have three (quickly growing!) african or african x chinese (they were sold to me as africans) goslings...
Shortly after getting them I read this thread and started fermenting their feed, a mix of mostly goose/duck appropriate crumbles with a bit of alfalfa pellets and some scratch/birdseed blend added(they are also on free range grass all day). They literally began chugging it down, and seem to eat it with less mess/waste than eating dry feed. Though of course, being dabblers, they still lose some into the pool. However, when mixed to a thick oatmeal consistency, they are perfectly willing to take several big chunky bites at a time before they dabble into the water.
I also noticed that their night time brooder pen was WAY less stinky, and their poops were more formed and almost like little green cow pats, with no noticeable undigested seed, rather than brownish squirts.

A few days ago I was tight for time, so simply put out dry feed for a couple of days. The pool bottom was covered with more feed, and their poops immediately became brownish smelly squirts again, with noticeable bits of undigested seed/grain.

As of today they are right back on the fermented feed, and will stay that way as long as I'm home and not relying on someone else to feed them for some reason.

Yes, I want to try this weekend too. It seems like a win win situation and not sure why people don't do it. They eat less yet get more out of it, they are healthier and we save $$.

I want to try sprouting too, I've been thinking about it for winter, but figure I need to get started to get them used to the idea.

Hey, everybody,

Are you a stirrer or a skimmer? The white stuff at the top of the bucket after a couple days: do you stir it back in or skim it off and discard it? I've been stirring, because I thought that's what we were supposed to do... but I heard a podcast yesterday advocating skimming. Is there a good reason to choose one over the other? And what do you do with your birds?

Thanks,

Bill

lol.png
Stir it in. I can think of no single practical purpose for discarding such a thing. When it's the morning after a refreshing of the feed bucket, it's largely comprised of the teeniest, fine particles of dust from your feed that floated to the top of your bucket during the refresh. If left long enough, they can grow yeast there but mostly that's just fermented fine particles of feed. Even if yeast is to be found there, even better...stir it in and keep those yeast beasties where they can do the most work.
wink.png

I'd be very interested in this podcast you listened to....fascinating that fermented feed has made it to a podcast.

:lol:   Stir it in.  I can think of no single practical purpose for discarding such a thing.  When it's the morning after a refreshing of the feed bucket, it's largely comprised of the teeniest, fine particles of dust from your feed that floated to the top of your bucket during the refresh.  If left long enough, they can grow yeast there but mostly that's just fermented fine particles of feed.  Even if yeast is to be found there, even better...stir it in and keep those yeast beasties where they can do the most work.  ;)

I'd be very interested in this podcast you listened to....fascinating that fermented feed has made it to a podcast. 

I also stir mine in

Back
Top Bottom