Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Several months ago I came across this thread while trying to find out why my meat birds were scrawny little no gainers. . . I was very unhappy but I discovered fermented feed and decided to give it a try. I started with the pellet food in one container and then added grains in another container - all my birds go nuts and because of that they are driving me crazy. I think my fermentation is over the top because not only do I have the white layer with active bubbles underneath but when I stir it sounds like carbonation - all I hear is a lot of fizz. I find this to be cool but is this normal? I also read a lot were it has been commented that the poops have become more firmer? My problem is the opposite - normal poops turned into very loose poops. Is there something I can do about? On the good side they do not stink! Thanks

What did you start your fermentation process with?

Several months ago I came across this thread while trying to find out why my meat birds were scrawny little no gainers. . . I was very unhappy but I discovered fermented feed and decided to give it a try. I started with the pellet food in one container and then added grains in another container - all my birds go nuts and because of that they are driving me crazy. I think my fermentation is over the top because not only do I have the white layer with active bubbles underneath but when I stir it sounds like carbonation - all I hear is a lot of fizz. I find this to be cool but is this normal? I also read a lot were it has been commented that the poops have become more firmer? My problem is the opposite - normal poops turned into very loose poops. Is there something I can do about? On the good side they do not stink! Thanks
The CO2 generated during fermentation is very normal, the higher the natural sugar content of what you are feeding the more bubbles/fizz you will get. Hmmn, is there water standing on top of your mash? I have at least an inch of water on top of my mash, I ferment for 3 days which seems to allow for maxium moisture content in the mash which helps the whole digestion process without the chickens having to drink more water for digestion. From all that I have read it is the lack of moisture in corn/grain that requires chickens to drink a lot of water to aid digestion which causes loose droppings. Guineas are the clowns of the yard and the sky watchers as we have buzzards that fly very low over our place (there is a commercial meat chicken grower behind us and down the hill, they toss out the dead which the buzzards clean up), they don't bother our flock. The guineas have cleaned up all the ants in the yard. One of the silkie hens has hatched two keets, today is the first time for them outside, now we'll have guineas tha won't try to leave as this is their natural home. Good luck on fattening your meat birds. Oh, yeah, I now put out mash twice a day, giving less as I have had time to make adjusts in how much for each bird.
old.gif

The CO2 generated during fermentation is very normal, the higher the natural sugar content of what you are feeding the more bubbles/fizz you will get. Hmmn, is there water standing on top of your mash? I have at least an inch of water on top of my mash, I ferment for 3 days which seems to allow for maxium moisture content in the mash which helps the whole digestion process without the chickens having to drink more water for digestion. From all that I have read it is the lack of moisture in corn/grain that requires chickens to drink a lot of water to aid digestion which causes loose droppings. Guineas are the clowns of the yard and the sky watchers as we have buzzards that fly very low over our place (there is a commercial meat chicken grower behind us and down the hill, they toss out the dead which the buzzards clean up), they don't bother our flock. The guineas have cleaned up all the ants in the yard.  One of the silkie hens has hatched two keets, today is the first time for them outside, now we'll have guineas tha won't try to leave as this is their natural home. Good luck on fattening your meat birds. Oh, yeah, I now put out mash twice a day, giving less as I have had time to make adjusts in how much for each bird. :old   

My grains consiste of scratch, rolled oats, and cracked corn. I guess the sugar would be coming from the corn and I usually have at least 2 inches of water covering them. My meat birds were butchered 8 weeks ago when I realized I was just wasting feed. They were 8 weeks and dressed out at a horrible 3lbs. I do have a meat bird hen that gained weight finally - right now she weighs 9lb 13oz. Thanks

I've got some young guineas that I have not released yet.
We got them primarily for tick clean up but I'm glad to know they help with ants too
celebrate.gif

Quote:
The CO2 generated during fermentation is very normal, the higher the natural sugar content of what you are feeding the more bubbles/fizz you will get. Hmmn, is there water standing on top of your mash? I have at least an inch of water on top of my mash, I ferment for 3 days which seems to allow for maxmium moisture content in the mash which helps the whole digestion process without the chickens having to drink more water for digestion. From all that I have read it is the lack of moisture in corn/grain that requires chickens to drink a lot of water to aid digestion which causes loose droppings. Guineas are the clowns of the yard and the sky watchers as we have buzzards that fly very low over our place (there is a commercial meat chicken grower behind us and down the hill, they toss out the dead which the buzzards clean up), they don't bother our flock. The guineas have cleaned up all the ants in the yard. One of the Silkie hens has hatched two keets, today is the first time for them outside, now we'll have guineas that won't try to leave as this is their natural home. Good luck on fattening your meat birds. Oh, yeah, I now put out mash twice a day, giving less as I have had time to make adjusts in how much for each bird.
old.gif

@Bekissed Do you start your chicks on starter crumble that you ferment right? How old do you start the grains?
I bought this bag of feed today. It has whole corn, whole grain sorghum, whole wheat, whole oats, whole barley and fish oil. It was $25 for 75lbs. They call it "Rooster mix" or "super scratch". If I wanted to cut my crumble with this, would that be ok?
The crumble I have is called Organic pride, its %20 protein. They say its good for the whole grow cycle. From chick to process

Sounds great! Sounds like a great mix, particularly with the fish oil in it. I do start my chicks on fermented starter and, as soon as they finish the bag, they start on layer/whole grain mix. Usually 2-3 wks of age, depending on how many are eating on that bag of starter...don't remember when they finished it this last time.

Last edited:
Sounds great! Sounds like a great mix, particularly with the fish oil in it. I do start my chicks on fermented starter and, as soon as they finish the bag, they start on layer/whole grain mix. Usually 2-3 wks of age, depending on how many are eating on that bag of starter...don't remember when they finished it this last time.
You give your 2-3 week old babies a layer feed? You don't have problems with calcium overload? Would that be because you mix it 50/50 with whole grains?

You give your 2-3 week old babies a layer feed? You don't have problems with calcium overload? Would that be because you mix it 50/50 with whole grains?

No calcium overload. The last batch of my layers that got fed layer feed as day old chicks are now 6 yrs old and still laying every day in peak season and every other day in non-peak season. Even the rooster is still fertile and going strong....didn't keel over from eating layer feeds.

I used to think the same thing after being told that... but I've learned better over the years.

Popular myth on this forum.

Meaties could actually use the extra calcium, as their bones grow more quickly than do normal breed's.

Some interesting reads:

http://shady-acres.com/susan/Calcium-Phosphorus.shtml

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/waste_mgt/natlcenter/sanantonio/ApplegateandAngel.pdf

I've searched and searched and have not found any scientific studies done on the effects of too much calcium in young chicks. All I have found are articles written about the recommended percentage and those were not written by scientists....just a general "it is recommended" but does not site studies.

Until I see something different in my flocks from feeding in this manner, I will continue to do so...and I haven't seen anything that I would call significant in all these years. I thought I did, once, but since the majority of the birds from that particular flock are now 6 yrs. old, I don't worry about it anymore.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom