Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Yes, the bag of cubes was much cheaper than the bags of mini pellet feed I normally get. I may just start buy the bags grains loose straight out and keep only enough actual feed to have a scoop or two out just for something to peck at

I have been using the alfalfa pellets and they are a little more manageable in portion sizing. The pellets do swell to about 3 times their dry size in the ff. Depending on price per pound I might go to the cubes and start with one and see how it swells in my ff. I have enough birds now so a cube or 2 of alfalfa per day might be just about right in the winter when there is less greens in the yard for them. Good to know that I need to start slower with the cubes then the pellets.

So, I was intrigued by the mention of using alfalfa cubes to provide a fermented green. I purchased a 50lb bag from my feed store and embarked on an experiment. Not having any reference as to how much to try, I added a large double handful of the cubes to my 5g FF bucket. 24 hours later, and I have made a few observations.
1: Never, ever, EVER underestimate the water absorbtion capabilities of dehydrated grass, lol. I have been adding water a few glugs at a time every couple of hour since. It's still drinking, lol.
2: Never, ever, EVER underestimate just how much volume that alfalfa hay loses as it is dehydrated and is compacted into cubes, lol. I now have a 5g bucket FULL of FF and am eyballing the empty bucket next to it wondering if I will need to expand my oporations.
3: Adding massive infusions of food into the brew all at once tends to dramatically slow the firmentation process, aparently you CAN choke a bacteria by shoving food down it's throat, lol.
4: It's popular. Even with the firmentation just now catching up with the influx of food, my chickens are tearing into it.
5: It smells SO much better, so far. I love the smell of that alfala, dry and in the bag, or in the bucket. I may change my mind as the firment catches back up and I fine tune the right amount of cubes to add at a time, but for now; mmmmmmmmm....hay.

lau.gif
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif

The best part, so far, appears to be that I don't actually need all THAT much alfalfa int he mix to get the desired effect, and given the cubes ability to reconstitute themselves and drink several times their weight in water, that 50lb bag may just see me through the winter since i'm only feeding 25 bantams and a Production RIR, lol.

P.S. Please don't as how one ends up with 25 of a rare breed of bantam and yet only ONE utility chicken, lol!
lau.gif

Last edited:
thanks galane i am going to give calf manna starting monday. i have got a small increase the last 2 days from 6 to 7 eggs form 12 layers that i know are laying. the other 4 hens are held over freedom rangers not sure if they are laying yet age 20 weeks.

Last edited:
Take note of the ability of alfalfa to absorb water...and be wary of storing large amounts of this stuff. It molds like crazy, no matter how good you store it. I always store my feeds in large, galvanized trash cans and usually inside a building, but my alfalfa pellets molded long before I could use them up.

Thanks Nomibear. I got them from Meyer's hatchery. I figured since I don't plan on showing my chickens I didn't need expensive sq birds. I am very happy with the chicks Meyer's sent me.
big_smile.png
All my EE came from Meyers too, I couldn't be more pleased. I would definately purchase from them again.

I like Meyers as well....most of the birds from that source via MPC were spot on. I didn't, however, like the quality of the Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock or Partridge Rocks from that source. My sister had similar breeds from McMurray(with way worse husbandry methods) that were superior in conformation, feathering and temperament.

Take note of the ability of alfalfa to absorb water...and be wary of storing large amounts of this stuff. It molds like crazy, no matter how good you store it. I always store my feeds in large, galvanized trash cans and usually inside a building, but my alfalfa pellets molded long before I could use them up.
Do you think storing them in plastic tubs in the garage would help stop the mold? I only ask because I can only get the pellets in 50# bags & with only 4 hens its going to last a long time. I use the heacy duty tubs now for their feed to keep out the squirrels, chipmunks & mice. Everything is dry in them with no growth or bad smells & I have had the food for over a month already.

Or do you think the pellets would freeze ok? I have a chest freezer that I am going to use for veggies for the hens for the winter and I can put the alfalfa pellets in there as well.

Back
Top Bottom