Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Hi all,

I am just trying to ferment whole grain for the first time. Several days ago I started a small batch of mixed whole grain, covered with warm water and added a glug of Bragg's ACV. I have it outside (70's during the afternoon, down to 40 degrees at night) and stir it several times per day. So far it smells pleasantly like grain, but it doesn't really smell like beer or anything close that. How can I tell if it is actually fermenting? There do seem to be tiny bubbles in the water.

Also, does anyone ferment pellets?

Advice appreciated.
You would want a "pickle-like" smell rather than beer.

Yes - throw the pellets in there too. That will actually jump-start the fermenting process. Mine started getting the bubbles/pickle smell after about 3 days but it is kept inside in consistent temperature. I also didn't have as good a luck with grains only. They didn't ferment as quickly as the mash/pellets.

I decided not to ferment my whole grains. I sprout them instead. So now I only put my layer mash in the fermenting bin.

Question: Anyone else noticing the gigantic yolks in their eggs on this FF? Down through the years I've had certain hens that always put out big yolks and noticeably bigger than the other hen's eggs...but every egg I've cracked since feeding FF has had enormous yolks. It doesn't matter what size the egg looks on the outside~as in the shell~ or which hen has laid the egg, the yolks are all supersized!

Now, think of how much extra nutrition chicks would be receiving from that bigger yolk. I hope I get to to have a broody that hatches some of these eggs because I really want to see if the chicks are bigger, healthier and grow faster from that better nutrition while incubating.

So, how bout it? Anyone else notice an increase in yolk size? I know the studies say the actual egg weighs more than layers fed standard feeds, so maybe all that extra weight is the increased yolks?

they do make EM for human consumption. A local organic farm sells some for digestive purposes. I have also read that some people make their bokashi with wheat bran so they can offer it as feed to horses and composting.

Question: Anyone else noticing the gigantic yolks in their eggs on this FF? Down through the years I've had certain hens that always put out big yolks and noticeably bigger than the other hen's eggs...but every egg I've cracked since feeding FF has had enormous yolks. It doesn't matter what size the egg looks on the outside~as in the shell~ or which hen has laid the egg, the yolks are all supersized!

Now, think of how much extra nutrition chicks would be receiving from that bigger yolk. I hope I get to to have a broody that hatches some of these eggs because I really want to see if the chicks are bigger, healthier and grow faster from that better nutrition while incubating.

So, how bout it? Anyone else notice an increase in yolk size? I know the studies say the actual egg weighs more than layers fed standard feeds, so maybe all that extra weight is the increased yolks?
BeeKissed
I have noticed larger yolks in my eggs! I have been using FF for about 3 weeks. Just in the past 3-4 days I noticed that the yolks were bigger. I bake pies for our local Farmers Market (3X week) so I see ALOT of egg yolks. At first it was just a few, but every one I used Monday night had the larger yolk! Woo-Hoo!

Last edited:

yes the fermented feed i love for layers. the yolks are huge, high domed, and thick. i think the overall welfare of the bird is better on this feed. they are nicer looking , shiny glossy feathering, and more active. they slowed down during the change over from dry feed to fermented feed. however they have picked up in the last week. i am also at the 2-3 week period of the fermented feed.

Well I finished my first bucket of ff today on the flock [not me personally] I have been putting it out in the early afternoon after it's warmed up a bit. I have another bucket to feed sure hoping the weather stays nice so they will finish it up. I really want them to have a good start on winter.

they do make EM for human consumption. A local organic farm sells some for digestive purposes. I have also read that some people make their bokashi with wheat bran so they can offer it as feed to horses and composting.

My concern was that EM, Bokashi, etc is a process that "decomposes" or digests the entire product it's used on. While ferment preserves it. That gets me thinking it's different organisms. Maybe not unhealthy ones, as I have read plenty about feeding EM to animals, but not conducive to preserving as ferments do.

Are milo and millet the same thing? Feed mills by me hadn't heard of milo (hmmm), but one had millet. I'm assuming (I know, never assume) that the millet would be ok to ferment? Also, I just wish I had half the grains available to me that most of you have!

Back
Top Bottom