Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Y'all don't normally keep water in your coops? 

No I keep it outside in the 3 seasons in the secured run and move it inside if needed. It's so humid here by the water that I don't need any more humidity inside the coop on a normal basis. I hung the smaller one last winter inside the coop and plan to do that in Dec when it gets really cold.

I will be 41 in q couple of months......some days I feel 80 some days in my 20s.......but rarely do I feel like I am in my 40s

Keeping active keeps me young
lol.png

And I am a firm believer that your only as old as you feel !!!

x2 on all that except i'm 47. I had to do the math cause usually I have no idea how old i am.

I have water inside in the winter. Inside and outside in the summer.

What's your take on the inside/outside water Bee?

Inside all the time but some outside too if I'm raising CX. For the layer flock, only on the inside all year round. In the winter they need it inside and that's where the plug-ins are for heated waterers. For summer, that's where the shade is.

It also keeps Jake from drinking all their water...but now that I am switching over to nipple waterers, that will be less of a problem.

Just posting a brag. I started using FF nearly a month ago. Here is a photo I took yesterday of my daughter's late-June hatch bantam cochin cockerel going through his first molt. Yup - this bird is young and in mid-molt... and I can practically see my reflection in his feathers! Though I have feathers all over my yard and they should all be looking raggedy, all my babies are looking more lustrous each day!

Feed waste has gone down to almost 0 and the birds love the FF. My feed bill has been cut by about 3/4! I have my FF in our laundry room and though you can smell it when you're near the laundry room, it just smells like sourdough bread... and my family ain't complaining about that! I catch my 9-year-old going over there just to smell it. She loves the smell :) And I love the smell of helping our little flock be healthy!

Beautiful chicken!

I agree with everything you have said. Feeding FF is definitely the way to go.

I just wanted to send out a prayer that everyone in the path of this storm is kept safe from harm and that everyone's flocks stay dry and safe also. I am in Delaware so it is almost certain that we will lose power at some point.

I think WV may actually get some snow from this system. Stay safe everyone.

I'll send an amen to that!  Are you prepared up there in Delaware? 

As prepared as you can be. We have water, batteries, flashlights, and plenty of food. I don't have a generator because frankly we don't deal with stuff like this very often. My dh is in the National Guard so he will be heading out on Sunday afternoon to camp out at his unit to be on call for any emergencies. I am used to weathering storms on my own though as he has been doing this for over 22 years.

I will let you all know later just how bad it got here. Are you expecting snow Bee?

Back
Top Bottom