Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

My garbage can full of the FF smells sour, but no bubbling. Why? There is this liquid on top that looks like oil. I mix it in multiple times a day. Is there something I'm missing?

I added a lot of ACV.. Like way more than a few glugs and more like 1/5th of a bottle :oops:

My garbage can full of the FF smells sour, but no bubbling. Why? There is this liquid on top that looks like oil. I mix it in multiple times a day. Is there something I'm missing?
I added a lot of ACV.. Like way more than a few glugs and more like 1/5th of a bottle
hide.gif

I wonder if the frequent stirring is dispersing the bubbles before they get big enough to notice? I only stir once a day, and as soon as I move the container the bubbles come to the top. As far as the oil, have never seen that. I wonder if there is oil added to one of your ingredients? Think you said you used mash and grain, is that correct?

I wonder if the frequent stirring is dispersing the bubbles before they get big enough to notice?  I only stir once a day, and as soon as I move the container the bubbles come to the top.  As far as the oil, have never seen that.  I wonder if there is oil added to one of your ingredients?  Think you said you used mash and grain, is that correct?
This one is a mix between scratch (barley, oats and corn I believe), turkey pellets and grower crumble. I'll have to take a picture in the morning to explain what I mean. It's not really like an oil.. But it reminds me of how oil and water separate.. It's coloured a yellowish brown, but is still a bit clear.. Smells good. :p

Originally Posted by B J Hopkins

I'll be 63 in Dec. Never felt my age until this year. Lost my daughter & Mother this year. My chickens are my therapy.

Just doing some catching up and came across your post. I am so sorry for your losses. Parents should never have to see their children go first. It is one of the hardest things to go through.

Does anyone else use this brand (almost said breed there for a second - chicken brain I tell you).

I can find this or braggs in my grocery store. I chose this one, as the bottle was bigger for the same price. Thoughts?
Also note I got my MIL to pick it up. She is a notorious label reader. Braggs has water in it!
I've used it before and I liked it. I had to get Spectrum Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (unpasteurized with the "mother"). It also is diluted with water to 5% acidity. It tastes very appley and much less intense than Braggs. I can't tell a difference in the FF. Haven't used Omega Nutrition brand for a long time. Do you like it?

Not all the time. When you stir it you may see a few, if you let it sit and the grains soak up the excess water, you may find holes in the top of the grain the next day....looks like perfect little bug holes where the bubbles have risen to the surface and came out. It doesn't foam and bubble all the time it ferments like yeast does to a bread sponge, particularly if it's not all that warm. During the warmer months I saw much more gas bubbles in my FF.

Back
Top Bottom