Fermenting grain mixed with molasses

EddieSalita

Songster
Mar 10, 2023
Qld, Australia
Anyone fermenting feed that has already had molasses added?

From what I'm reading on the interwebs most are adding blackstrap molasses post fermentation.

However in different circles it seems molasses is in fact lacto fermentable. But it can indeed be yeast fermented also producing alcohol. Main difference seems to be one of duration under ferment?

The food I feed is from a local mill. It's great quality food. The ingredients are as follows:

Layer mash: Ingredients: Short-cut Protein Pellet containing Soybean Meal, Wheat, Maize, Poultry Grit, Molasses, Oil, Black Sunflower, Lucerne Chaff.

Scratch grain 1....Ingredients: Wheat, Sorghum, Barley, Maize, Oats, Grey Stripe Sunflower, Oil, Molasses.

Scratch grain 2... Ingredients: Wheat, Maize, Molasses, Black Sunflowers, Oil

All have molasses. I'm just gonna try it...... but interested to see if anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, objections regarding the molasses aspect?

I would guess that you would need a strong lacto culture of some sort to make sure it lacto-ferments, since the wild yeasts will typically get there first. No one wants drunk chickens. 😅 Or will it just turn into vinegar since it is an aerobic system?

Maybe a sourdough culture would be best, since I am not sure how much lacto bacteria would do to grains. Sourdough culture is typically a mix of yeasts and lacto-bacteria, but will definitely ferment the grains still.

Are there benefits to fermenting the molasses?

Let us know how it goes!

Update.

The ferment went great. I just let it start naturally. No yoghurt starter or anything. I kinda want it as simple as possible. Simpler means more likely to happen long term.
Stirrring 2-3 times a day. I didnt use excess water. Only just enough to fully soak the grain. So it wasnt immersed. We are at the start of winter. Daytime temps 25c, night time 5-10c. Ferment was a bit slow to start. But was definitely a lacto ferment by the smell. No yeastyness or alcohol aromas.

I made a pvc tube feeder. They went crazy for it. Feeder not long enough and there was a bit of fighting to get a position. They loved it so much that I am definitely giving them a daily ration of fermented food from now on. I assume there are no drawbacks to doing it everyday?

Next project..... I have a layer crumble with meat and blood meal in it. Wondering if it would be fine to ferment that also? Thoughts?

Ingredients are as follows:

Wheat, triticale, barley, oats, peas, lupins, lentils, beans, soyabean, canola, sunflower and products derived from these ingredients. Meatmeal, blood meal, fat, limestone, di-calcium phosphate, sodium bicarbonate, potassium carbonate, bentonite, salt, lysine, methionine, threonine, tryptophan, isoleucine, valine, antioxidant, natural egg yolk pigments and enzymes.
Vitamins: A, D3, E, K, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenate), B6 (pyridoxine), B7 (biotin), B9 (folic acid), B12 (cobalamin) and choline.
Minerals: Calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, chloride, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, molybdenum, selenium and zinc.

When I was doing fermented feed on a regular basis, I had to go through pains for it to not get too funky, and had to clean out the bucket a couple times in the summer. It should be better in the winter, but you just want to make sure they are getting the right microbes. Your nose will let you know. 😅

I don't think I would ferment meat or blood. The benefit of fermenting the grain is that it becomes more bio-available, but blood and meat are already so. I would be afraid it would start to decay and harbor the wrong bacteria. I would keep it fresh and add it at the end, but sparingly.

I haven't learned a ton about feeding meat to chickens, but I think it can be hard on their systems if done frequently. From what I understand it is better for their systems to eat the bugs that come to help the meat decompose, since their systems are better built for that (have you heard of the hanging grub bucket? Kind of gross, but economical for sure 😆). Maybe some one else would know more about feeding meat to chickens on a regular basis and how much it would stress their organs, or maybe you are just planning feeding it occasionally already?

When I was doing fermented feed on a regular basis, I had to go through pains for it to not get too funky, and had to clean out the bucket a couple times in the summer. It should be better in the winter, but you just want to make sure they are getting the right microbes. Your nose will let you know. 😅

I don't think I would ferment meat or blood. The benefit of fermenting the grain is that it becomes more bio-available, but blood and meat are already so. I would be afraid it would start to decay and harbor the wrong bacteria. I would keep it fresh and add it at the end, but sparingly.

I haven't learned a ton about feeding meat to chickens, but I think it can be hard on their systems if done frequently. From what I understand it is better for their systems to eat the bugs that come to help the meat decompose, since their systems are better built for that (have you heard of the hanging grub bucket? Kind of gross, but economical for sure 😆). Maybe some one else would know more about feeding meat to chickens on a regular basis and how much it would stress their organs, or maybe you are just planning feeding it occasionally already?
They love tuna and sardines

Back
Top Bottom