Fertile eggs?

Any updates on the ones in the bator?
None of them are in a bator. The one under the first hen is doing fantastic though. A very active chick. (Im trying to scramble to get more fertile eggs under the second hen that way the fist chick is not alone for long. It apears im too late though) you can see the heartbeat aswell as it moving in the egg.

Day 8 today, everything seems okay, everything looks like it should. Still trying to get a second egg just to get them a second chick. So far thats jot going to plan. Every time the eggs end up being infertile. Hopefully these ones will be. I saw him mating with other hens. Basically all but one of them now. Yeah I know its late right now , but anywho.

I've seen that happen, especially with a young male. Typically he will be accepted by more hens as time goes on, and he gets older and more confident.
Hey NatJ? What do I do if I cant get anymore fertile eggs intime? (If these under the second hen don’t develop it will be way too late to introduce them.) I cant get any more chicks around me because the hen wont take them in, plus none of the feed stores will be getting any in because of the time of year. and I really want her to raise this chick. After all shes working so hard for them. Any advice?

Hey NatJ? What do I do if I cant get anymore fertile eggs intime? (If these under the second hen don’t develop it will be way too late to introduce them.) I cant get any more chicks around me because the hen wont take them in, plus none of the feed stores will be getting any in because of the time of year. and I really want her to raise this chick. After all shes working so hard for them. Any advice?
Sorry, I don't think there is any way to speed up the process of the hens accepting the rooster and the rooster mating with them.

It is fine to let a hen raise just one chick. The usual problem with raising a single chick in a brooder is that it doesn't learn to interact with other chickens-- not a problem when the hen is doing the raising. Yes, the chick may have a hard time socially when the hen decides to quit being motherly, but I think hens with only one chick sometimes tolerate it for longer than hens with a big clutch.

If the second hen raises any number of chicks (even just one), the chicks can hang out together after the mothers quit caring for them. Being a few weeks apart in age isn't a big deal.

Why do you say the hen won't take in other chicks?

If you want to buy chicks but your local store won't get any more, you could order chicks online. McMurray hatchery will ship as few as 6 at a time until the end of October, and they currently have a few breeds available as sexed females (and lots more as sexed males!) Ideal Poultry is also still shipping. Their minimum order is $30 rather than a certain number of chicks, and they appear to have more breeds still available than McMurray does. They've even got enough to run a few sales on sexed pullets (their weekly emails are a big temptation!) There might be other hatcheries still shipping as well.

Sorry, I don't think there is any way to speed up the process of the hens accepting the rooster and the rooster mating with them.

It is fine to let a hen raise just one chick. The usual problem with raising a single chick in a brooder is that it doesn't learn to interact with other chickens-- not a problem when the hen is doing the raising. Yes, the chick may have a hard time socially when the hen decides to quit being motherly, but I think hens with only one chick sometimes tolerate it for longer than hens with a big clutch.

If the second hen raises any number of chicks (even just one), the chicks can hang out together after the mothers quit caring for them. Being a few weeks apart in age isn't a big deal.

Why do you say the hen won't take in other chicks?

If you want to buy chicks but your local store won't get any more, you could order chicks online. McMurray hatchery will ship as few as 6 at a time until the end of October, and they currently have a few breeds available as sexed females (and lots more as sexed males!) Ideal Poultry is also still shipping. Their minimum order is $30 rather than a certain number of chicks, and they appear to have more breeds still available than McMurray does. They've even got enough to run a few sales on sexed pullets (their weekly emails are a big temptation!) There might be other hatcheries still shipping as well.
True, but after these chicks, my flocks are probably at their limit.So a single chick with a hen is fine, thats good. We tried giving this hen feed store chicks after only one hatched before. She may have tried to take them in. But she kept pecking them a little aggressively. Theres also two older pullets in the pen with them. Roughly 2 months. The only reason im trying to get more eggs under the second hen is to hopefully get atlest two hens. (To test what genes he carries. Mainly to see if the hens would lay blue or green eggs.) Then he’s going to get rehomed after that. (A family member wants him. They have more room for him anyways.)

True, but after these chicks, my flocks are probably at their limit.So a single chick with a hen is fine, thats good. We tried giving this hen feed store chicks after only one hatched before. She may have tried to take them in. But she kept pecking them a little aggressively. Theres also two older pullets in the pen with them. Roughly 2 months.
In that case, letting the hen hatch & raise a single chick is definitely the easiest thing to do.

The only reason im trying to get more eggs under the second hen is to hopefully get atlest two hens. (To test what genes he carries. Mainly to see if the hens would lay blue or green eggs.) Then he’s going to get rehomed after that. (A family member wants him. They have more room for him anyways.)
If you just want to know whether he carries the blue egg gene, and how many copies, there is a genetic test:
https://orders.iqbirdtesting.com/product/blue-egg-gene-with-feathers-sample/
The test is definitely faster and probably cheaper than raising chicks to find out what color eggs his daughters lay. (Although it might not be as much fun as raising some cute chicks!)

But if you want to know what genes he carries for brown eggshells (make a blue eggshell into a green one), then test-mating is the only way to go.

In that case, letting the hen hatch & raise a single chick is definitely the easiest thing to do.

If you just want to know whether he carries the blue egg gene, and how many copies, there is a genetic test:
https://orders.iqbirdtesting.com/product/blue-egg-gene-with-feathers-sample/
The test is definitely faster and probably cheaper than raising chicks to find out what color eggs his daughters lay. (Although it might not be as much fun as raising some cute chicks!)

But if you want to know what genes he carries for brown eggshells (make a blue eggshell into a green one), then test-mating is the only way to go.
True, but the chicks will be more fun. I just want to see if he carries the blue gene or not. Im not too worried on the brown gene. But I will keep the test in mind.thank you.

Back
Top Bottom