Fertile eggs?

Pics
I removed my cockerel on Aug. 14th, I had a hen go broody at/about the same time. She is on a large clutch. I want to give her time but how long?
This is where she is at, hardest place on the planet to get to her or the eggs:

Attachments

• 20220827_120635.jpg
    20220827_120635.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 3
I removed my cockerel on Aug. 14th, I had a hen go broody at/about the same time. She is on a large clutch. I want to give her time but how long?
This is where she is at, hardest place on the planet to get to her or the eggs:
Considering how hard she is to reach, I would just leave her until around the 3 week point. After that, I would spend a few minutes looking & listening for chicks each day, so you know if you need to put food and water handy for them.

But if you don't notice any chicks, I would probably leave her for a full 4 weeks, just in case she's sitting on some extra-slow eggs. By 4 weeks, any chicks that are going to hatch should have done so, and it seems reasonable to discard all eggs and break the hen's broodiness.

(If you can easily reach her, just candle the eggs anytime after 1 week, and discard any infertiles. If there are no viable ones, decide whether to give her more or break her broodiness or just let her keep sitting on an empty nest.)

Last edited:
Considering how hard she is to reach, I would just leaver her until around the 3 week point. After that, I would spend a few minutes looking & listening for chicks each day, so you know if you need to put food and water handy for them.

But if you don't notice any chicks, I would probably leave her for a full 4 weeks, just in case she's sitting on some extra-slow eggs. By 4 weeks, any chicks that are going to hatch should have done so, and it seems reasonable to discard all eggs and break the hen's broodiness.

(If you can easily reach her, just candle the eggs anytime after 1 week, and discard any infertiles. If there are no viable ones, decide whether to give her more or break her broodiness or just let her keep sitting on an empty nest.)
I cannot thank you enough. I am going to give her until the 12th.

Back
Top Bottom