1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fertile Or Not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by colbyatwest, Jan 20, 2012.

1. colbyatwest

colbyatwest New Egg

Jan 20, 2012
    Hi, I have some questions on how you can tale if your eggs are fertile or not? For the last two year I have hatched R.I.R.. And this year I plan to do the same, but we just got a new rooster. Our rooster we saw "on top" of our girls, so we knew the eggs were fertile. I know you can candle after about two weeks, but what can you do to tell if they are ferile, before setting them?
    -Thanks, Colby

2. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    you can crack a few open and look for the bullseye. If you search on here, you should be able to find some posts that people have posted with pictures of fertile eggs with the bullseye.
    Hope this helps.

3. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
  4. colbyatwest

colbyatwest New Egg

Jan 20, 2012
    Thanks that really helped alot :)

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Remember since you boy is new it will take 2 to 3 weeks for his sperm to make it's way to the eggs. A hen can keep sperm from any other roos for up to 3 weeks.

6. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
  7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

In reality, it only takes 2-3 days for the eggs to be fertile from a new rooster. It does take 3 weeks or so for the hen to be free from the influence of the old rooster. I'm sure that's what you meant to say, but I thought I'd better clear that up.........Pop

8. bluestar.ranch

bluestar.ranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Belville Tx
    interesting, nature can be unpredictible nice find

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by