Fertile yoke check

threeepeat

Songster
Dec 26, 2022
Canada
I'm new to checking coturnix eggs for the fertility "bullseye," as people are calling it.

This morning I cracked open yesterday's 4 eggs from my four layers.

#1 Double yoke, one yoke was cut by my scissors. I do not see a dot in the remaining yoke so I'm assuming this was an immature egg (based on a video I saw)

#2 No dot, but had a black fleck of some kind

#3 Has a dot and seems to have a bullseye ring

#4 Has a dot but I'm not sure if it has a full bullseye ring. It also has blood streaks. This egg is from my big Range hen that all the roos seem to prefer (not Scarlet as I had previously thought)

Any thoughts on which egg/s are fertile, and what causes the black fleck and blood streaks? Are these still edible?

Thanks

Screenshot_20230208-110630_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230208-110605_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230208-110543_Gallery.jpg

Thanks guys. If it's not that clear cut for you pros, then how am I gonna figure this out? Haha joking, but yeah the reason I'm checking the yokes now is because I don't want to start to incubate eggs from these young hens until I know the rooster is making hay.

Thanks guys. If it's not that clear cut for you pros, then how am I gonna figure this out? Haha joking, but yeah the reason I'm checking the yokes now is because I don't want to start to incubate eggs from these young hens until I know the rooster is making hay.
Well, sometimes it is hard to tell....the one with the blood is definitely not fertile. As @Nabiki , says, incubate for 5 to 7 days, candle and then you will know!

Back
Top Bottom