fertile?!?!

chicken head34

Songster
9 Years
May 29, 2010
middleburg
59017_sany4124.jpg
this egg has been in the incubator for 7 day......i know its not the best pic, my camera keeped dieing.....but can you tell if the eggs fertile? is it spose to have those weird dot things? srry if these questions are stupid this is my first time trying to incubate.

I'm not seeing any signs of veins through the shell, and the above response is correct. It looks porous to me. Can you see any spider-like veins?

It doesn't look fertile to me. You should be able to see a developing chick by now. I'd say that egg is a dud. Hopefully you have more that aren't. Are you making sure that you are incubating properly? I had to try twice last year. The first time, I made a homemade incubator that only worked so much. The chicks started to develop, then all died before hatch day. So sad. Then I bought a store bought incubator (a crappy one because I didn't know any better yet), and only 1 out of 6 eggs hatched. If I decide to use an incubator this year, I will buy a top of the line incubator. And make sure not to handle it/them with bare hands. The oil from your skin can clog the pores in the egg, killing it off. Here's a website you can check out about chick development during incubation. And I remember seeing a post on here back when I started out last spring where they candled their eggs during development and posted pics of the chick(s) developing. Keep your eyes open, and your hopes up. Even though this one may not be good, there may be others that are. Good luck!

www.msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_testing_embryo.html

Back
Top Bottom