Fertility advice anyone please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dewsetter, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    Please can anybody help me as I am going to be over run with chickens soon. The reason is that I hate to think a fertilised egg is just left and not incubated so I have to hatch them all! My cockerel isn't going to his new home until the weekend so I am running out of incubator room. I am vegetarian and hate the idea of eating a fertilised egg. So...........
    1. Can a pullets first ever egg be fertile?
    2. When a cockerel is removed from the chicken pen, how long are the chickens eggs still fertile for?

Please help as i know it sounds daft but its all really bothering me, I am lying awake at night pondering over the whole situation and wondering where I can put all these **** chickens until I can sell some! lol
    Many thanks in advance, Lisa.

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Eggs can be fertile for up to a month with a minimum of 2 weeks

3. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    Thanks for the reply Brahmabreeder, that helps me. Can anybody tell me if a pullets first ever egg can be fertile? I saw the cockerel mating with her 2 days before she laid her egg ( I think I have just answered my own Question there haven't I ?! Lol) I presume then that there is a good possibility it is fertile.
    Thank you in advance for any replies.

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    There is a good chance it is fertile, but the chances of a successful hatch are diminished on pullet eggs, as they are usually smaller, and often they are malformed in one form or another until the chicken gets all it's "ducks" in a row. After a couple of weeks though the eggs start to get larger, and more consistent in size, and consistency. Fewer oops type eggs. But yes pullet eggs can be fertile, and can sometimes hatch.

5. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I had a pullet lay two eggs and then I took three and hatched them all. Chicks came out nice and healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by